£10.97 - £11.52 per hour
4 months ago
Our client is seeking a Waste Officer on an initial 6 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To assist in the day to day front line management and monitoring of the waste contracts and associated waste services predominantly (but not limited to) refuse and recycling collections, street cleansing and litter collection, enforcement tasks, mini recycling centres and abandoned vehicles for the Council.
To provide excellent waste management customer service.
To contribute to the sustainable management of the environment of the area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To promote the Councils strategic priority of maximising recycling and composting and reducing waste to landfill by encouraging the effective use of waste services provided and by contributing to the continuous improvement of the quality of these services.
To be responsible for overseeing and managing waste management issues within a designated area of West Berkshire. To undertake regular monitoring inspections of the contractor's work in order to determine and ensure the work meets the agreed specification and take action where required to ensure compliance.
To respond directly and helpfully to enquiries, requests for service and complaints, both written and oral, regarding waste management. To communicate effectively with customers, colleagues and external agencies including resolving disputes and managing challenging situations.
To develop and maintain an effective working relationship with the contractor and to interpret and resolve service issues or queries.
To record accurate contract and waste management data and information.
To undertake procedures to assist with the waste enforcement function, including on-site investigations, evidence gathering, issuing fixed penalty notices and interviewing under caution. To be involved in waste minimisation and recycling initiatives, promoting an awareness and appreciation of environmental and waste management issues to the community.
To promote equality as an integral part of the role and to treat everyone with fairness and dignity.
To recognise health and safety is a responsibility of every employee, to take reasonable care of self and others and to comply with the WBC Health and Safety policy and any service-specific procedures / rules that apply to this role.
Skills and Expeience:
- Experience of working in a fast-moving customer focused environment.
- Experience of working with contractors and contract monitoring experience.
- An understanding or experience of raising public awareness on waste management issues.
- Experience of waste enforcement tasks.
- Knowledge and understanding Knowledge and appreciation of relevant methods and technologies for household waste & recycling collections and street cleansing.
- Knowledge and appreciation of relevant technologies for waste disposal and treatment.
- Skills and abilities Ability to use Microsoft Outlook and to use mobile devices and web browser to access information E Basic ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc).
- Able to effectively organise and prioritise workload, plan routes, use own initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Able to resolve disputes and challenging situations showing empathy and active listening techniques to de-escalate potentially challenging situations.
- Ability to follow processes and contribute to the continual improvement of the service.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills. Confident and enjoys meeting and dealing with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to make effective relationships both within the council and with external groups or organisations. Ability to interpret contract specification and geographical maps.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases