£20.00 - £21.00 per hour
25 days ago
Our client is seeking a Solicitor- Level 2 on the initial 2 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
22.2 hours per week
Monday - Friday
To provide legal advice and representation for the County Council, primarily relating to highways, town & country planning and environmental issues.
Duties and Responsibilities-
- Providing legal advice and assistance to officers of the County Council on environment related matters, which may include: highways, transport, town & country planning, countryside, public rights of way, unauthorised encampment, Town and Village Green and Commons matters
- Advising on, preparing and conducting the presentation of cases to public inquiry and/or in courts and other tribunals on behalf of the County Council.
- Appointing and briefing counsel on cases as required.
- Attending, as the Director of Legal Services's representative, meetings and briefings, including with Elected Members and senior officers.
- Maintaining confidentiality and observing data protection and associated guidelines where appropriate.
- Dealing, in a timely manner, with correspondence by email and post and enquiries from the public, private solicitors, Planning Inspectorate, courts, witnesses etc.
- Preparation of reports to the Council's Executive and/or Regulatory Committee
- Providing assistance and support to and supervision of other legal staff
- Keeping up to date with thorough knowledge and understanding of relevant areas of law
- Contributing to work within Department and with other department to develop best practice and to ensure delivery of best value.
Skills and Experience-
- Experience of working for a local authority as a solicitor relating to town & country planning or highways
- Advocacy experience
- Knowledge of current legislation and case law relating to environmental law including highways and planning
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- A high level of commitment
- The ability to give clear and accurate legal advice, including training.
- The ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure.
- Must be a qualified Solicitor or Barrister.
- Knowledge of other legislation relating to local government.
- Knowledge of local government administration, including executive and committee arrangements and the role of elected members.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.