£12.37 - £12.99 per hour
15 days ago
Our client is seeking a Skilled Operative on an initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To undertake planned and reactive small scale construction, repair and maintenance and improvement works associated with the Council public realm assets, including parks, allotments, play areas, amenity paths, drainage features, hard landscaping and street furniture, such as street name plates, fencing, bins and benches, and closed churchyards.
To undertake planned and reactive health and safety assessments and associated maintenance inspections of the Council public realm assets, including play areas, amenity paths, buildings and drainage features, in accordance with agreed policies and plans; and maintain a record of inspection results and actions taken.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and deliver small public realm scale civils works to an approved standard, specification and method of work.
- Undertake health and safety inspection, including play area technical inspections, and record defects and recommended actions.
- Provide technical small scale civil engineering advice to other Council officers, including standards of installation of play equipment and street furniture.
- Respond to urgent works including damage and vandalism of play equipment and street furniture, in order to maintain public safety.
- Use appropriate safety barriers and signs when working, in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 8 of the traffic signs manual and other relevant guidelines.
- Support other Council officers with technical aspects of events such as the Folk
- Festival, Big Day Out, Strawberry Fair and Midsummer Fair and Fireworks.
- Undertake works in accordance with agreed risk assessments, safe working practices, delivery schedules, timetables, budgets and specifications.
- Manage the refurbishment programme of existing play areas and to ensure that all new equipment and safer surfacing complies with European safety guidelines
- Carry out risk assessments to property, plant and equipment managed by the department and prioritise and implement action plans
- Complete administrative arrangements to meet health and safety and public liability requirements
- Be aware of, and comply with, the Council policies and procedures on health and safety by:
- Ensuring robust, effective safe working practices, including lone worker, are documented and in place and adhered to at all times
- Ensuring health and safety matters are considered when changing work practices, introducing new equipment, etc. and that risk assessments are undertaken, reviewed and updated as appropriate.
- Ensuring accidents, incidents, dangerous occurrences and near misses involving persons (Council employees or otherwise) on Council property are properly recorded, investigated and reported.
- Identifying and reporting health and safety training needs of employees.
- Monitor and liaise with other Council officers/ operatives, external contractors, service users and others concerning the installation, repair and maintenance and improvement of Council assets
- Carry out any other duties as required by your line manager from time to time in accordance with the grading of this post.
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to interpret instructions clearly and to complete all appropriate paperwork associated with the role.
- Technical Inspections of Play Areas.
- Ability to carry out heavy manual tasks involving lifting and handling materials & equipment, loading and unloading vehicles.
- Ability to detect underground services, including the appropriate equipment and safe digging procedures.
- Working within a civil engineering related field.
- Ability to use small plant and equipment such as excavators, roller/ breaker compaction equipment and other civil related equipment.
- Ability to undertake health and safety inspections, including play, surfaced paths and drainage features.
- Able to undertake daily maintenance of vehicles including pre-start checks.
- Ability to undertake all types of minor civil engineering tasks.
- Able to prioritise work and able to work to timescales.
- A basic understanding of Highways and construction work
- Multi-skilled in a variety of trades hard landscaping, carpentry, plumbing, ground works, welding.
- Literacy & numeracy.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases