£340 - £423 per hour + (PAYE or Umbrella Company)
15 days ago
A 5 Month+ opportunity for a has arisen for a Service Director - Development & Regulation within the local authorities in Newbury.
Role Summary and Purpose
- Lead the Development & Regulation Department (public protection, planning, development and economic development activity, including homlessness and gypsy and traveller provisions, for the Council)
- Align the Departmental strategies to the Council's strategy, vision and values
- Provide strategic advice to Members and relevant boards on all areas of responsibility
- Ensure legal compliance and provide advice on such matters to managers, Corporate Management Team and Members
Role Specific Accountabilities and Impact
- To provide effective leadership to the Development & Regulation Department.
- To ensure effective management of the main functions of the Department namely Development & Planning, Housing and Public Protection
- To provide advice and support to Elected Members and senior managers of the Council
- To support the delivery of West Berkshire 2036 and the preparation and delivery of the Council Strategy
General Duties and Accountabilities
- Coach, encourage and support staff to promote a learning culture that supports excellent standards of service, innovation, partnership and continuous improvement, mainstreaming equality and ensuring all services are accessible
- Adhere to the standards set out in the Council's competency framework
- Work with ICT to ensure IT systems and practices are developed to maximise the efficient and effective management of the service area, ensuring staff within the service receive appropriate training and support.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Professional qualification relevant to the Directorate
- Membership of relevant professional body
- Management qualification (e.g. ILM7/MBA)
- Demonstrable successful senior management experience in a large, complex, multi-service organisation
- Proven track record of successful leadership in a directly related service environment
- Experience of managing significant organisational change to a successful conclusion, including implementing new organisational structures, systems and new ways of working
- Experience of working successfully in partnerships
- Experience of financial and budgetary management with the ability to formulate financial strategies that provide value for money and puts stakeholders at the centre of financial decisions
Knowledge and understanding
- Understanding of the workings of local government including in-depth knowledge of major legislative and other matters facing local government in Directorate service areas, both at present and in the future
- Understanding of, and commitment to, equality of opportunity in its widest sense
- Understanding of and commitment to the development of policies to promote sustainable development and community resilience
Monday - Friday
(3 or 4 day working weeks will be considered)
Working at home due to covid restrictions, with occasional need to be in the office (approx 1 day per week).
Rate of Pay:
There could be flexibility in the rate for the preferred candidate.
To apply please send your CV or email for more information.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.