West End, London
£25.70 - £26.99 per hour
2 months ago
Our client is seeking a Senior Sen Practitioner on an initial 3 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
36 Hours per week
The SEN Senior Practitioner will work closely with families and service providers and act as an expert operational lead in a specialist area e.g., casework, Early Years, Post 16, Tribunals. They will support the development and maintenance of practice standards, assist with training, development and workforce planning, provide advice and guidance on complex casework and manage highly complex cases either individually or jointly with key workers and practitioners. As a result of managing more complex cases, the SEN Senior or Specialist Practitioner will hold a reduced caseload.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take forward education, health and care needs assessments of children and young people with SEN, in accordance with The Children and Families Act 2014 and SEN Code of Practice January 2015 and the rights of parents/young people and ensure that statutory processes are carried out within required time lines, as detailed in the Children and Families Act 2014 and the SEN Code of Practice January 2015.
- Be the primary point of contact for the parents/carers of children and for young people, across the 0 - 25 age range, who are undergoing an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment or who have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP).
- Communicate effectively and positively with parents, young people, schools and professionals, keeping them informed and collating information throughout the statutory and local assessments/decision making process.
- Understand and respect the rights of young people with SEND and ensure their meaningful participation in their own Education, Health and Care Plans and within the wider community.
- Attend meetings and panels concerning children and young people at schools and other settings and ensure the statutory processes for supporting those children and young people to make progress towards achieving their agreed outcomes are efficient and effective.
- Deputise on behalf of and support the SEN team manager to have oversight of the team's statutory performance including the 20 weeks' assessments and phase transfer.
- Use the quality assurance process to ensure consistent high quality Education Health and Care Plans.
- Oversee requests for mediation and pre-meetings, analyse requests for mediation, while ensuring council mitigation under the overriding objective.
- Ensure that systems are clearly and consistently updated with all relevant information in a timely manner.
- Support the effective and efficient commissioning of suitable educational provision and placement for children with an EHC Plan, with a focus on accountability for outcomes.
- Engage and build respectful, transparent and effective relationships with children and young people with SEN, their families, education settings, and work across multiple agencies to ensure the needs of those with SEN are met.
- Contribute to the development of initiatives and partnerships that encourage children and young people to build strong links with their local community and support the growth of positive perceptions of young people.
- Support panels and any relevant decision making processes professionally and competently.
- Take a lead on practice development, carry out relevant research, keep informed of and disseminate best practice, and contribute to service development initiatives.
- Write high quality EHC Plans, attend SEND surgeries, lead on termly Planning meetings and on regular tracking meetings with partner agencies.
- Act as the first point of contact for case queries and provide case supervision, advice, guidance and support to SEN EHC Assessment and Review coordinators and case officers with complex cases, helping to maintain the highest standards of professional service.
- Advise the Leadership Team on additional skills required in the workforce to ensure statutory timescales are met and encourage continual professional development; including contributing to the arrangement and delivery of training and other events.
Skills and Experience:
* Keen to learn from everyone including parents.
Respectful To demonstrate attitudes identified by Parents and Carers in RBKC as essential:
* Willing to ask parents as well as other professionals for information/advice
* Embraces diversity with a Can-do attitude * Willing to see things from others perspective
* Detailed knowledge of the Children & Families Act (2014); SEN Code of Practice 2015 and Education Act 1996 and any subsequent revisions or new legislation and successful experience of applying this in practice is essential.
* Relevant experience in an educational setting, local authority, or with children and young people in a related field.
* Experience of successfully managing an SEN caseload and complex casework.
* A specialist knowledge or an advanced skill set in one or more relevant priority SEN areas
* Experience of effective case supervision and/or supervision or management of others.
* Experience of training/developing others and/or supporting team development.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and experience of supporting shared problem solving with a range of people including children and young people, parents and practitioners.
* Excellent understanding of the nature and importance of partnership working and managing multiple stakeholders.
* Excellent communication skills and being able to provide clear, concise and effective written and verbal communication.
* Detailed knowledge of the pathways through the education system for children and young people, and a clear understanding of matters relevant to Preparation for Adulthood * Demonstrably effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
* Excellent organisational skills, including the capacity to manage competing demands and meet deadlines within timescales.
For this role you will need the following:
- You are eligible to work in the UK.
- A suitable NI number.
- An enhanced DBS.
- 3 Years written referencing(All gaps verified).
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.