West End, London
£27.36 - £30 per hour + PAYE/Umbrella
28 days ago
3 months +
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Planning Officer to join our busy offices based in Kensington on a temporary basis for 3 months with the possibility of an extension. We are looking for someone to start ASAP, working 36 hours per week, at £27.36 p/h.
As the Senior Planning Officer, your main duties will include:
- Inspecting plans, carrying out site visits and assessing development proposals and possible breaches of planning control, including proactive monitoring
- Providing advice to applicants and other customers, including on whether permission/consent is likely to be granted and how schemes may be altered so permission/consent may be granted, and negotiating complex planning applications and enforcement matters (often with a gross value of many millions of pounds and negotiating significant financial contributions through legal agreements such as under s106), considering alternatives and recommending the most appropriate course of action
- Advising third parties about planning matters and the scope of planning control
- Maintaining notes of site visits, meetings and records of actions
- Drafting reports and recommending whether applications are granted or refused and whether enforcement action should be taken for submission to the planning committee or for decision by the Director or Head of Development Management.
- Preparing statements and other materials for appeals and prosecutions for agreement by the Team Leader and/or Head of Development Management, and to appear as the Council's representative at inquiries, hearings and court.
- Keeping applicants, complainants, colleagues, councillors and others informed of the position of current cases and to share knowledge where necessary.
- Checking applications for validation as part of providing a joined-up service to applicants, giving the necessary advice to applicants and maintaining appropriate records
- Presenting to planning committee meetings, answering questions from the committee as necessary
- Assisting in the Customer Service Centre and ensuring the highest levels of customer service
- Instructing and leading formal enforcement action where authorised
- Providing assistance in the training or supervision of junior members in the team
- From time to time arranging for consultancy advice (for approval by others), normally up to a maximum value of £25,000 and managing the delivery of the output with the contractor
- Contributing to service improvement projects, sometimes in a leading role
To be successful for this Senior Planning Officer post you will need to have:
- A planning degree or equivalent
- Licentiate membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute (or equivalent)
- Evidence of relevant continuous professional development
- Significant planning experience, some of which should have been gained in development management (including planning enforcement) environment
- A sound knowledge of London planning issues
- Experience of preparing evidence for public inquiries or court cases
- Experience of presenting and answering at committee
- Some experience and/or knowledge of historic buildings and conservation areas
- Some experience of arranging small scale contracts for consultancy advice
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.