Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
£15.05 - £15.80 per annum
about 1 month ago
Our client is seeking a Senior Planning Officer on an initial 2 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To help deliver sustainable, high quality development which meets the needs of the area by providing pre-application advice, assessing and determining planning applications and/or by preparing, implementing and monitoring the Local Plan and other planning policy documents.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This role is important in delivering good development within the District through the implementation of the Local Plan and the delivery of development proposals which are in accordance with National and Local planning policies.
The post-holder will work predominantly within that area listed first below but will be expected to apply their planning skills and knowledge across both elements as necessary.
Development Management: The assessment and determination of specific development proposals is a key element of the delivery of good development across the District and can often be the only point at which applicants and their neighbours come into contact with the Council. In ensuring the delivery of a speedy and effective development management service, it is essential to manage time effectively in order to assess and determine submissions of varying types and complexities within statutory time periods, whilst dealing promptly with other requests from developers, the public and other stakeholders and supervising and mentoring junior officers and other colleagues including checking and signing off their decisions within statutory time periods.
Planning Policy: The Local Plan sets out the scale and extent of growth within the District and establishes criteria for the protection of the environment and the assessment of development proposals. The impact of Local Plan policies including the location of new development on the character and environment of the District is considerable and involves substantial public interest and concern. For that reason, in preparing the Plan, care and attention must be paid to policy formulation and the involvement of the public requiring a strong strategic approach supported by evidence.
This role is a key element of the delivery of an efficient and effective planning service to customers through the timely processing of applications for development and other requests, and the provision of sound planning advice and guidance to all participants in the planning process. This involves the constant need to update and retain knowledge of planning legislation, national and local policy and guidance, and case law in order to respond properly and professionally to development proposals.
The Local Plan looks ahead 15 years. The choices that the Council makes in preparing and reviewing its Development Plan will therefore have an impact over an extensive period. It is therefore vital that these choices are well researched and clearly argued. The post holders involved in policy work will play an important role in influencing these choices and will need to be able to analyse complex information, reach reasoned conclusions and communicate these effectively to a wide variety of audiences including in situations where people hold a strong contrary view.
Skills and Experience:
- A graduate or of graduate caliber.
- Experience of delivering good customer service.
- Experience of delivering work to deadlines.
- Experience of administering systems.
- Knowledge of the purpose and objectives of Town and Country Planning and the role of the local planning authority in their achievement.
- Literate and numerate sufficient to produce reports and other assessments on planning matters.
- Map, plan and drawing appreciation skills sufficient to accurately assess physical characteristics of sites, buildings, infrastructure and other features.
- Keyboard skills sufficient to access and input data on the computer system and produce reports, briefing notes etc.
- An ability to remain calm in difficult circumstances and deal with all customers in a helpful and constructive manner.
- Ability to successfully negotiate to deliver desired outcomes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills demonstrated through working as part of a team and in a mentoring / overseeing role.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, demonstrating tact and diplomacy.
- Effective time management and organisational skills.
- Experience of and ability to work with a wide variety of people including senior managers, members, developers and community groups.
- Ability to work in partnership and to build good relationships.
- Ability to undertake research and analysis to solve problems and reach soundly based conclusions
- Willingness to work flexibly including in the evening where necessary.
- A commitment to equal opportunities and anti discriminatory practices.
- Full driving license and access to a car for work purposes.
For this role you will need the following:
- 2 Years written referencing (All gaps verified).
- A suitable NI Number.
- You are eligible to work in the UK.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.