£16.33 - £17.15 per hour
5 months ago
Our client is seeking a Senior Communications Officer on the initial 3 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 hours per week
Monday - Friday
To help make Central Bedfordshire a great place to live and work through effective use of a range of communications which enhance customer experience, dialogue and understanding between the organisation and its key stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities-
- To lead a small team of Communication Officers within the service, giving direction, challenge and support to them so that they are able to perform effectively, efficiently and consistently to high professional standards.
- To act as specialist/expert on all aspects of communications, ensuring that appropriate professional advice is given to Members, managers and employees.
- To deliver excellent customer service.
- To develop and maintain constructive and productive relationships with key customers (external and internal).
- To deploy staff to meet business requirements and to monitor and manage performance appropriately.
- To support and motivate staff through change.
- To ensure adherence to all HR policies and procedures.
- To ensure that corporate policies and processes are known and acted upon by all employees.
- To promote equality and inclusion across all service provision and in employment practices, through best practice, personal example and appropriate policy initiatives.
- To ensure that the Council is able to demonstrate compliance with its statutory obligations, including meeting health and safety legislation.
- To exemplify through personal behaviour the Council's values and appropriately challenge behaviour in others that does not reflect those values.
- To effectively anticipate, plan and manage the core communications requirements of the council services that you and your team will support in order to achieve objectives of the service and council and enhance the organisation's reputation.
- To construct and execute multi channel communications campaigns for internal and public audiences to meet service and council objectives.
- To innovate and contribute to development of the council's core communication channels and practices to enhance our service and our effectiveness.
- Through leadership of the team, maintain a highly effective service to the organisation, ensuring responsiveness, professional capability and capacity of the team.
- To evaluate the effectiveness of communications activity and campaigns.
- To develop and activate appropriate protocols, training, support and advice to ensure that all communications channels are effectively deployed.
- Support the Head of Communication Channels and Campaigns in developing the service.
Skills and Experience-
- Experience of working at a senior level in a local government or large complex organisation on communications to support the organisations' goals.
- Demonstrable experience of developing and implementing successful and innovative strategies/ plans/ initiatives in relation to communications and media relations.
- Experience in providing strategic advice on messaging and channel methodology and implementation based on audience insight and channel effectiveness.
- Experience of designing, delivering and evaluating complex multi media marketing campaigns which get messages across and reinforce the organisational brand.
- Experience of acting as an advisor to Members, Managers and officers on communication issues.
- Demonstrable experience of developing and leading successful communication strategies and plans.
- Comprehensive experience of handling high profile, complex and/or sensitive media issues.
- Experience of initiating proactive media relations as part of wider communication campaigns.
- Extensive editorial experience with proven track record of managing editorial, production and distribution of communications.
- Experience in managing, motivating and developing a small team and ensuring performance goals are met and exceeded.
- Experience of building and maintaining relationships with Members, officers and other key stakeholders.
- Experience of delivering high standard, customer focused services through others.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the issues facing local government and the Council, political and officer structures.
- Ability to influence key decision makers.
- A clear understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of different channels and their relative roles in a communication campaign.
- Ability to translate creative ideas into practical and effective communications that take account of audience needs.
- Demonstrable experience of using customer insight and market segmentation to inform decisions on communication activities.
- Ability to research and interpret complex information and translate this into concise, clear and persuasive copy.
- Demonstrable news sense, including an appreciation of how local and national media operations work and sensitivity to their needs and preferences for local authority press office services.
- Ability to lead by example and to provide direction and motivation for individuals, teams and partners.
- Ability to effectively manage performance to improve outcomes.
- Ability to think strategically and apply analytical reasoning to complex problems.
- Ability to deliver ambitious objectives through effective planning, prioritisation and the efficient use of resources.
- A thorough understanding of customer care principles, systems and methods.
- Highly developed oral, written and presentation skills.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills.
- Unquestionable honesty, integrity and probity.
- Resilience whilst under pressure.
DBS Required for this role
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.