£27.00 - £28.00 per hour
about 1 month ago
3 months +
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Accountant to join our busy offices based in Portsmouth on a temporary basis for 3 months with the possibility of an extension. We are looking for someone to start ASAP, working 37 hours per week, at £27.00 p/h.
As the Senior Accountant, your main duties will include:
- The Financial Services team is committed to providing prompt and reliable management information to the Council's service managers, supporting strategic decision making and helping to identify risks, challenges and opportunities. But we want to do more than that. We want to change how people think about finance.
- It's an exciting time to join our team. We're undergoing a cultural change and are working together to build new ways of working. We're introducing a Business Intelligence solution which means budget holders will have invaluable insight at their fingertips. You'll play an essential part in securing buy-in from people across the council and gathering insight to make sure it is used to its full potential.
- The successful applicant will work with the Finance Manager or Group Accountants to deliver a full range of high quality financial management and accountancy services to a range of clients. These include the members, strategic directors, officers of the council as well as to the auditors, government departments and external stakeholders in order to support the strategic aims of the council and to assist in the management of the accountancy teams including other professionally qualified staff.
- You'll also provide specialist knowledge and expertise in order to assist in the city council's revenue and capital budget process, budget forecasting and monitoring processes. This role will provide financial advice to members and officers and ensures that completion of statutory financial statements, statutory returns and financial analysis. It assists in the role of ensuring that the city council's assets are managed in line with current legislation, the constitution and financial rules and other professional codes of practice.
To be successful for this Senior Accountant post you will need to have:
- Be CCAB qualified with substantial post qualified experience and be able to demonstrate professional updating.
- Be computer literate, having a high standard of spreadsheet skills and being proficient in the use of Word, Outlook and Excel etc. You'll also need to be able to use financial information systems such as Oracle (E-Business Suite) and Business Intelligence.
- Have excellent communication skills and experience of advising senior officers and attending management teams and working groups on finance related issues.
- Have knowledge of Local Government Finance.
- Have substantial experience of preparing budgets for a period of more than one year, preparing monthly budget monitoring reports, preparation of monthly accounts, financial monitoring and final annual accounts.
- Have experience of appraising and evaluating the financial implications of projects and proposals using accounting techniques.
- Have proven experience in successfully developing and maintaining complex financial models.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.