£12.35 - £12.97 per hour
4 months ago
Our client is seeking a Safety Officer on an initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Thursday
- To drive behavioural change to ensure excellence in the health, safety and welfare of employees and provide assurance to SMT on health and safety standards.
- To support and advise in the area of health and safety in particular to the parks and waste services groups and recommend actions to management so that the service complies with the relevant statutory provisions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, deliver and record appropriate health and safety training for staff.
- Assist with planning, implementation and monitoring the effectiveness of our health and safety policy and procedures throughout the council, with particular focus on the parks and waste services departments.
- Assist the Senior Safety and Resilience Officer with developing and maintaining a robust monitoring regime of our contractors' health and safety.
- Work in partnership with and support other Safety & Resilience Team members to develop best practice, such as monitoring of behaviours and cultures, while ensuring that we can still get the job done (risk aware not risk averse).
- Provide appropriate competent health, safety or welfare advice and assistance.
- Work closely with the Senior Safety & Resilience Officer to support the audits of local managers' health and safety management and liaise with the appropriate manager to ensure that issues are addressed within an appropriate time frame.
- Create action plans in response to audits and monitor delivery.
- Deliver competent, effective and efficient health and safety training to staff (internal and external).
- Conduct, record and recommend improvements following regular inspections and audits of council's work sites and activities
- Support risk assessment work across the Council.
- Attend training events as required to maintain a competent level of health, safety and welfare knowledge.
- Respond to employees and Trade Union health and safety complaints/concerns as appropriate.
- Be an active member of the Health and Safety Coordinator Group.
- Support our associated representatives such as the first aid representatives, fire marshals and DSE assessors to achieve their required objectives.
- Horizons scan for future changes in health and safety legislation and maintain CPD.
- Work towards the NEBOSH Certificate which must be achieved within 12 months of appointment.
- Demonstrate environmental awareness and environmental responsibility.
- Assist the Senior Safety & Resilience Officer if requested to support the aims and objectives of the council's resilience duties.
- Any other reasonable duties as requested by your manager, in line with your skills and knowledge.
- To set an example to others on excellence in health and safety at work.
- A responsibility for ensuring that information collated and used for performance monitoring is accurate in conjunction with the Councils Data Quality Strategy.
- Most of the duties will involve contact with council staff and senior officers. The will be irregular contact with Elected Members, the public; Trade Unions and local and national external bodies including the HSE.
- Office based in a number of RBC locations in the centre of Rugby including the Town Hall, Albert Street, and WSU, with visits to other teams and premises and sites including construction sites. May be expectation to work at other local authorities.
- The post holder will be expected to work flexi hours.
Skills and Experience:
- Have experience of working within the parks and waste services industry.
- Extensive experience within Health & Safety Management
- Ability to influence, champion and enforce excellence in health, safety and welfare at work.
- Understand the need for political awareness and sensitivity and the importance of building and maintaining sound working relationships.
- Competent effective and efficient health and safety trainer.
- Certificate Holder, or a willingness to work towards.
- Communication skills to deal with a range of people often using persuasion skills, including computer literate with a drive to support the digitalisation agenda.
- Capable of handling heavy and diverse workload.
- Computer literate.
- Able to inspire commitment, enthusiasm and positive attitude in others to achieve objectives.
- Ability to involve and encourage others in finding solutions. Risk aware not risk adverse.
- Interest in developing an understanding of and assisting in emergency procedures and business continuity.
- Experience of preparing reports and statistical information in a clear and concise manner.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases