Worthing, West Sussex
£20.28 - £22 per hour
9 days ago
2 Months +
We have an exciting opportunity for a Revenue Specialist to join our busy offices based in Worthing on a temporary basis for 2 months with the possibility of an extension. We are looking for someone to start ASAP, working 37 hours per week, at £20.28 p/h.
As the Revenue Specialist, your main duties will include:
- Undertake the prompt and efficient billing, collection and recovery of Council Tax, Business Rates and BID Levy liabilities including penalties, fees, and charges, in accordance with prevailing legislation, litigation, guidance, best practice and office procedures. Determine Council Tax liability (including sole or main residency considerations) and entitlements to discounts, disregards and exemptions.
- Maintain a good up to date knowledge of relevant legislation, litigation, guidance, best practice, local policy and office procedures relating to the Revenues Service.
- Help the team achieve Best Value Performance Indicators (BVPIs) and other targets summarised in the section's service plan and the corporate Best Value Performance Plan.
- Undertake the prompt, efficient, friendly and fair resolution of Revenues and Recovery-related customer enquiries requiring demonstrable technical knowledge, IT and communication skills, in accordance with prevailing legislation, litigation, guidance, best practice, local policy and office procedures.
- Maintain excellent customer relations by conducting face-to-face interviews with customers and responding to telephone calls from customers when enquiries are "handed off" by the Customer Service Team.
- Help administer the visits database in respect of Council Tax and Business Rates properties, recording details of visits undertaken and responding to any follow-up action required.
- Prepare paperwork and make appointments for disabled reduction and uninhabitable applications.
- Assist with the identification of newly completed, altered and demolished properties from Planning Approval and Building Regulation records, ensuring that details are passed to the Valuation Office Agency.
- Initiate and reply to enquiries ensuring that matters of an urgent, technical and contentious nature are given prompt and efficient attention.
- Help ensure that all systems are efficiently and effectively operated with appropriate safeguards and controls.
- Identify potentially fraudulent applications for discounts, exemptions and reliefs, reporting promptly to the Finance Manager (Exchequer & Investigations) for investigation by the Fraud Officers.
- Initiate and receive computer system output, including both regular and ad hoc batch work.
- Ensure that calculations are checked and verified in compliance with best practice and audit requirements.
- Maintain a good up to date knowledge of all the Council Tax, Business Rates, BID Levy, EDRMS and other associated software systems that are relevant to the administration of liabilities, assisting with the testing of new and updated systems.
- Undertake all duties in accordance with Council policies, in particular those relating to Customer Care and Equal Opportunities.
- Undertake such other duties as may reasonably be allocated to the post holder, which may involve providing assistance in any section of the department as may be required from time to time.
- Undertake any duties regarding health, safety and welfare at work, civil contingencies and business continuity which may reasonably be allocated to the post holder as a result of legislation, codes of practice or Council policies.
- Promote the service and Council positively at all times.
- Adhere to all aspects of confidentiality and Data Protection in order to comply with the law. To observe all policies and guidelines as defined by the Council's Data Protection Officer or your Service Data Controller.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.