£26.00 - £27.30 per hour
4 months ago
Our client is seeking a Revenues Services Manager on an initial month contract with the possibility of an extension,
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To manage and lead the billing, collection and recovery section on behalf of the businesses projects. To ensure the effective, economic administration of the billing and collection service in order to maximise revenue for the shared service in respect of Council Tax, Non Domestic Rates, and for Housing Benefit Over payments, Sundry Debts & Housing Rents for the Council in accordance with legislation, local policies and strategies.
To work with the Revenues and Benefits Manager Shared Services Manager and the other Section Heads within both authorities to ensure the team achieves excellence in its services to its customers, both internal and external.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Formulate and maintain policy and strategy for the Revenues Shared Service in line with local and national policies and priorities.
- Develop and establish systems and procedures to ensure all staff in the Revenues Shared Service section process all matters effectively and efficiently in line with best practice.
- Develop, monitor, implement and evaluate IT systems for the efficient and effective billing and recovery of Council Tax, Business Rates, Benefit Over payments, Sundry Debts & Housing Rents.
- Manage the processes for the shared service to ensure the determination of discretionary and mandatory discounts, reliefs and exemption relating to Council Tax and Non Domestic Rates in accordance with legislation and locally determined policies and strategies.
- Manage processes for the externalisation of debt recovery work to bailiffs or other debt collection agents in accordance with council policy.
- Determine and ensure effective implementation of performance standards, objectives and targets.
- Manage processes for the preparation of write-offs and prepare reports in accordance with financial regulations of each council.
- Ensure effective communication of changes in working practices, together with decision making and work processing requirements and encourage all team members in the shared service to develop and improve the service.
- To take action on pre committal cases in determining the next most appropriate action, including managing processes for bankruptcy, company winding up, liquidation and related matters.
- Determine relevant court recovery cycles and timetables across the shared service and assist with the planning and execution of the year end/start routines.
- Establish systems to maximise the scope for the collection of all monies owed to each authority and take effective action to manage and continuously improve upon key performance indicators and minimise errors.
- Work closely with other sections in each council to ensure customer service is delivered to meet the criteria laid down and is constantly reviewed to optimise the standard of customer service provided.
- Develop and maintain links with stakeholders to the shared service and put in place processes for consultation with these stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Support the Revenues and Benefits Shared Services Manager in the strategic management of the service and attend service management team meetings.
- To manage the completion of statutory returns on behalf of the Shared Service in relation to Revenues and the calculation of the tax base and setting of the council tax charge.
- To manage the preparation and execution of annual billing and provide strategic updates to the Revenues & Benefits Manager including any issues which may affect deadlines.
- To ensure all complex and contentious correspondence and enquiries, including those form official organisations and formal complaints are dealt with in accordance with established procedures and laid down timescales.
- Assist with the preparation of reports for Cabinet and other committees as required.
- To undertake such other duties appropriate to the grading of the post.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years experience of working in a revenues environment, including dealing with/interviewing public both by telephone and in person.
- Minimum of 12 months current experience of managing and supervising staff.
- Experience of working to performance related targets.
- Use of computerised systems, including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Experience of compiling policy and procedure notes including changes to working practices.
- To have an in depth knowledge and understanding of Council Tax, Non Domestic Rate legislation and Housing Law.
- A good understanding of best practice for efficient administration of Council Tax, Non Domestic Rates & Housing Rents
- To be able to communicate effectively at all levels with staff, members of the public and external organisations by face to face, telephone and in writing.
- To be able to manage and motivate teams of staff and participate in the overall management of the Revenues Service.
- To remain positive and focused during periods of legislative and organisational change.
- To be able to present complex information in a clear and precise manner.
- To have a detailed of computer systems used in the Revenues Service.
- Ability to work on own with minimum supervision.
- Good knowledge of recovery processes and legislation in respect of Council Tax, Non Domestic Rates, Housing Benefit Over payments, Sundry Debts & Housing Rent matters.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases