Ystrad Mynach, Caerphilly
£9.74 - £10.23 per hour
3 months ago
Our client is seeking a Refuse and Cleansing Operative on an initial 1 months contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Sunday
Provide an effective and efficient cleansing/waste collection service for the County Borough that includes the removal of waste, detritus and bulky items from pedestrian areas, grass verges, parks, roads, pavements, wasteland, houses and public properties. It can also include street washing, undertaking yardman duties, working on Household Waste Recycling Centres, etc.
Play a key role in the promotion of the service and ensure the provision of a quality, effective customer focused service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The post holder is responsible for completion of their allocated cleansing and/or any other duties as required by their Supervisor.
- When required the post holder will work on Household Waste Recycling Centres, which typically involves:
- Assisting members of the public to unload heavy/bulky items from vehicles,
- Segregating materials to optimise recycling and keeping sites clean and free from any hazards during the day.
- When required - out of hours attendance at site to allow access to emergency services - this may also be a requirement for other functions provided by Public Services.
- If a machine/equipment is used, the post holder will be responsible for undertaking daily pre and post maintenance checks and potentially routine machine maintenance.
- When required the post holder will undertake yards man duties, which typically involves:
- Driving Forklift truck
- Loading/unloading vehicles
- Stock control
- Issuing materials
- Issuing Personal Protective Equipment
- Where necessary the post holder will participate in various environmental, educational and customer care initiatives (this and other duties may occasionally necessitate out of hours working).
- The post holder will during the course of their employment be expected to use (after appropriate training) vibratory equipment (pressure washers, chewing gum removal equipment, drills, strimmers, chainsaws etc).
- Work closely with other crews and supervisors to ensure the provision of an efficient and effective cleansing service.
- Promote cleansing, waste minimisation, recycling and other environmental issues.
- Support and work alongside existing Council Officers e.g. Public Services Staff.
- Ensure we provide a customer-focused service to all residents of the borough.
- Participate and assist with community based events or local initiatives.
- Distribute leaflets and flyers as required.
- Promote a caring, helpful and unbiased attitude towards residents, visitors, the general public and remain polite and courteous.
- Ensure accurate completion of cleansing/collection/delivery schedule records.
- Work in line with the Authority's Corporate Strategies and our own departmental service objectives. Ensure compliance with all Authority Policies and procedures
- Undertake basic administrative and clerical duties as required.
- Work in compliance with relevant Health & Safety and Environmental Protection
legislation affecting our service area ensuring compliance with all Risk Assessments, Safe Systems of Work and training provided.
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to work individually or as part of at team in the provision of quality services.
- Able to undertake the full range of duties required of operatives within the Public Services Department.
- Customer orientated in the provision of this essential front line service.
- Able to communicate effectively with a wide range of customers and provide an effective service. In particular, demonstrate the ability to be able to listen and understand the needs of residents and support them in a sensitive and effective manner.
- Ability to work effectively in stressful or sensitive situations, handling conflict with tact and diplomacy to ensure personal safety.
Your references need to be available as soon as possible in order for you to obtain this job.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases