£9.74 - £10.23 per hour
6 months ago
Our client is seeking a Refuse and Cleansing Operative on an initial 1 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
Provide an effective and efficient cleansing/waste collection service for the County Borough that includes the removal of waste, detritus and bulky items from pedestrian areas, grass verges, parks, roads, pavements, wasteland, houses and public properties. It can also include street washing, undertaking yardman duties, working on Household Waste Recycling Centres, etc.
Play a key role in the promotion of the service and ensure the provision of a quality, effective customer focused service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The post holder is responsible for completion of their allocated cleansing and/or any other duties as required by their Supervisor.
- When required the post holder will work on Household Waste Recycling Centres, which typically involves:
- Assisting members of the public to unload heavy/bulky items from vehicles,
- Segregating materials to optimise recycling and keeping sites clean and free from any hazards during the day.
- When required - out of hours attendance at site to allow access to emergency services - this may also be a requirement for other functions provided by Public Services.
- If a machine/equipment is used, the post holder will be responsible for undertaking daily pre and post maintenance checks and potentially routine machine maintenance.
- When required the post holder will undertake yards man duties, which typically involves:
- Driving Forklift truck
- Loading/unloading vehicles
- Stock control
- Issuing materials
- Issuing Personal Protective Equipment
In order to ensure an effective and efficient cleansing and collection service to the general public, Refuse and Cleansing Operatives will be required at times to undertake a range of activities and duties, which fall outside of their substantive role as defined above.
Where other duties and activities are undertaken Refuse and Cleansing Operatives will be remunerated at the appropriate rate of pay. Other duties could include:
- Waste collection rounds typically require the collection of waste from up to 2,000 properties per day and this includes walking long distances every day and where there is no wheel bin allocated, manually loading waste to vehicles.
- Driving various vehicles or plant. Where a vehicle is allocated, the post holder will be responsible for undertaking regular machine maintenance and completion of the daily pre and post vehicle maintenance checks together with any tachographs requirements if fitted to vehicles. The post holder will be responsible for reporting any vehicle defects to Fleet Management or equipment defects to their Supervisor. Drivers are also responsible for keeping their vehicle clean and ensuring compliance with all road traffic legislation.
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to work individually or as part of at team in the provision of quality services.
- Able to undertake the full range of duties required of operatives within the Public Services Department.
- Customer orientated in the provision of this essential front line service.
- Able to communicate effectively with a wide range of customers and provide an effective service. In particular, demonstrate the ability to be able to listen and understand the needs of residents and support them in a sensitive and effective manner.
- Ability to work effectively in stressful or sensitive situations, handling conflict with tact and diplomacy to ensure personal safety.
- Basic awareness of cleansing/waste management issues.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases