£23.37 - £24.37 per hour
10 days ago
6 months +
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Engineer to join our busy offices based in Wembley on a temporary basis for 6 months with the possibility of an extension. We are looking for someone to start ASAP, working 36 hours per week, at £23.37 p/h.
As the Principal Engineer, your main duties will include:
- Coordinate and project manage the design and implementation of highways, traffic and parking projects.
- Provide leadership, instruction and technical guidance to junior staff within Highways & Traffic design team/s.
- Manage the preparation of briefs and the supervision/project management of consultants, suppliers or contractors engaged to undertake works under the control of the Highways & Traffic design team/s.
- Be responsible for the management of revenue and capital budgets and ensure delivery of projects and programmes of work to agreed budgets and programmes.
- Ensure regular liaison with Highways & Contract Delivery team to confirm the buildability of schemes through early contractor involvement.
- Attend site meetings to liaise with and maintain good relationships with contractors, staff from other sections of the Council, utility companies, other authorities/agencies and relevant organisations.
- Effectively manage allocated works programmes and schemes and liaise closely with the Traffic Orders team to introduce permanent and temporary traffic regulation orders in a timely manner.
- Provide informed technical advice and prepare written responses to members of the public, councillors and all other stakeholder to a high standard.
- Identify the need for, and manage the delivery of, public consultation processes in conjunction with consultation and/or support officers.
- Prepare draft technical reports to the Head of Service and Highways Committee setting out the results of technical reviews, scheme development plans and complaint investigations and any other technical matters as required and instructed by a Team Leader or Service Manager.
- Provide informed professional advice to other officers of the Council in respect of highways design and engineering matters and represent the Council at external meetings, including liaison with Council Members, MP's and other relevant organisations.
- Take an active role in the development of the team and maximise the benefits to the authority with regard to investment in training and staff development.
- Assist in the development, management and maintenance of quality control procedures for the Highways & Traffic teams and the broader Service area.
- Contribute to development, delivery and monitoring of a Service / Team Plan.
- Be directly responsible and accountable for the quality and technical robustness of the output of staff working on allocated schemes, projects and works programmes.
- Draw on existing research and undertake new research, to develop technical guidance to assist in developing future work programmes.
To be successful for this Principal Engineer post you will need to have:
- HNC/D or Degree in Civil Engineering/Transportation or equivalent or appropriate postgraduate qualification.
- Desirably Incorporated or Chartered and a member, or working towards membership, of an appropriate institution (CIHT, IHIE, ICE, ILT etc.).
- Evidence of significant and ongoing CPD
- Extensive experience in detailed and/or preliminary design of highways and traffic engineering schemes.
- Significant knowledge and understanding of government policies and legislation relating to highways and traffic.
- Significant supervisory/management experience.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of specifications and standards in the design of traffic and highways schemes.
- Demonstrable experience in investigating highways, traffic and/or parking issues and identifying and designing solutions.
- Experience in preparing and managing public consultation processes and presenting information to stakeholders and the public.
- Experience or understanding of the use of design software such as AutoCAD.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.