£21.63 - £22.71 per hour
12 days ago
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Enforcement Officer, Private Sector Housing to join our clients offices based in South East London on a temporary contract basis for 2 months with the possibility of an extension.
As the Principal Enforcement Officer, Private Sector Housing, your main duties will include:
- You will provide expert and specialist knowledge to the Private Sector Housing Enforcement & Licensing Team. You will be dealing with complaints, serving legal notices under the Housing Act 2004 & public health legislation. and dealing with licence applications for HMOs and single family properties.
- You will have knowledge and at least 2 years of post qualification experience of applying the legislation relating to the private rented sector & public health including the Housing Act 2004, the Housing Health & Safety Rating System, the Environmental Act 1990, the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, the Building Act 1984.
- Where necessary you will take action to enforce notices including the preparation of legal proceedings & giving evidence in the Magistrates' Court and undertaking works in default.
- You will be answering queries from members of the public, other Council departments, Councillors and senior management regarding private sector housing & public health issues
- You will be required to manage a full and varied caseload and will be required to meet strict legislative and departmental time frames with minimal supervision.
- You will train and supervise trainees and provide mentoring and guidance to officers.
To be successful for this Principal Enforcement Officer, Private Sector Housing post you will need ot have:
- You must hold a relevant degree in an appropriate discipline or an equivalent academic or professional standard, for example a BSc, MSc or HNC/HND in Environmental Health, a HNC/HND in Building Studies. Holders of other qualifications should make contact to find out if the qualification is relevant. You must be qualified to make assessments under the Housing, Health & Safety Rating System.
- Knowledge of regulatory framework governing services provided by the Environmental Health and Trading Standards division.
- Experience of providing advice and guidance within the field of environmental health and experience of providing a 'first point of contact' service in a demanding environment with diverse communities.
- Experience in preparing legal papers and appearing as a witness in court.
- Knowledge of the statutory functions and obligations placed on a local authority in relation to services provided by environmental health & trading standards.
- Knowledge of the impact of inner city issues on regulatory matters and an awareness of national trends as they effect environmental health or trading standards issues.
- Knowledge & experience of using the relevant environmental health legislation and criminal law (including PACE), codes of practice, regulations and guidance, and how to effectively apply them.
- A practical knowledge of the application of information technology within an environmental health service
36 hours per week
Monday - Friday
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.