£22.81 - £23.81 per hour
22 days ago
3 Months +
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Accountant to join our client's offices based in Rugby on a temporary contract basis for 3 months with the possibility of an extension. The client is looking for someone to start ASAP, working full time, 37 hours per week at £22.81 p/h.
As the Principal Accountant, your main duties will include:
- Champion excellent management of financial resources, promoting efficiency, high performance, probity and excellent value for money services
- Contribute to the delivery of service transformation, driving efficiency and productivity improvements and also the optimisation of income opportunities, to contribute towards the achievement of financial self-sufficiency.
- To take a lead in ensuring the proper administration of financial affairs and monitor compliance with relevant financial standards and legislation, whilst supporting the delivery of a programme of continuous improvement.
- Ensure that members and officers are provided with high-quality strategic advice and direction on financial strategies, policies, standards and practices, enabling timely and well-informed decisions to be made in the knowledge of the impact of those decisions will have financially on the Council.
- Lead in specialised areas ensuring thorough financial evaluation/analysis and risk identification, resulting in robust financial data that can be relied upon.
- Provide financial expertise for and attend various officer working parties and Committee meetings.
- Co-ordination, completion and certification of statutory and non-statutory returns.
- Assist in the coordination of the production of the Statement of Accounts function.
- Have in-depth knowledge of all relevant current legislation and interpret new legislation and advise other officers on the financial and operational implications.
- Any other appropriate duties as requested.
Treasury Finance and VAT
- To act as the Council's expert on Treasury Management function including; monitoring investments to ensure compliance and adequate rate of return and daily cash management including the bank account.
- To lead on the production of the annual Treasury Strategy.
- Assist in the production of the Medium Term Financial Plan and Capital Strategy providing the necessary treasury information for budget planning and forecast monitoring.
- Undertake financial appraisals to advise on strategic investment options, in accordance with the Council's relevant strategies.
- Completion of year-end Treasury Accounts for both HRA and General Fund Capital and Revenue accounts.
- Contributing to the production of the Council's Statement of Accounts.
- Ensuring VAT treatment is correct and providing guidance to others.
- To lead on the coordination and delivery of projects and developments made to the financial system. This will include;
- Assist IT in the delivery of improvements made to reporting and budget planning tools to promote the overall objective to provide a more self-service finance system with this is more accessible to Budget Managers.
- Development and delivery of financial systems training.
- Identify improvements and efficiencies to the financial system which will add value and promote a lean way of working.
- To provide the necessary reassurance that the financial controls are in place within the finance system and any relevant feeder systems.
- To ensure financial systems and process are fit for purpose, enabling the organisation to develop and ensuring financial information is clear and accessible.
- To provide a client role on the development of financial systems liaising regularly with the Councils Information Technology team.
To be successful for this Principal Accountant post you will need to have:
- At least three years post qualification experience in a professional finance environment preferably within the public sector.
- A full understanding of up to date Local Government finance policies and legislation
- Experience of developing and maintaining good working relationships with colleagues and external contacts to achieve service outcomes.
- Experience in developing financial systems and processes.
- Experience of producing high quality and accurate financial reports for management information.
- Must be a fully qualified member of one the accountancy institutes in CCAB, preferably CIPFA
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.