Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
£22.12 - £23.23 per hour
about 1 month ago
Our client is seeking a Principal Accountant on an initial 2 Year contract with the possibility of an extension.
Working Hours: Monday - Friday, 37 Hours
Pay Rate: £22.12 P/H PAYE
To play a key role in the overall financial management of the Council in accordance with legislative requirements, Fit for the Future and best practice. Planning, directing and controlling the preparation and monitoring of budgets, Final Accounts, statistics and statutory financial returns, ensuring the financial integrity of the Council's accounts and Financial Management Systems and aiding financial decision making across the Council at all levels. To provide financial and accountancy input to corporate projects. To assist the Strategic Finance Manager and deputise when necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Give a maximum of eight brief descriptions of what the main responsibilities are and assign time percentage values against each one. The Percentages of time allocated to the core responsibilities below are merely an indication, as the Post Holders are expected to manage their work to deliver the service.
- Play a key role in designing implementing and controlling processes to prepare, report and monitor the Council's budgets. Thus ensuring expenditure, income levels, and Council Tax/Housing Rents/Capital Financing be determined by the Council in accordance with current legislation requirements, financial constraints and statutory returns.
- Responsible for the production of the Council's Final Accounts within agreed timetables and strict statutory deadlines. Interpreting and Implementing the implications of any changes to the accounting standards required to prepare the annual Statement of Accounts. Advising the Head of Finance and Strategic Finance Manager on these. Design, compile and produce the Statements of Accounts, in accordance with the statutory accounting standards. Design, produce and continually enhance detailed working papers, to the highest standards required by external audit. Secure the completeness and accuracy of all the information disclosed to external audit's satisfaction so as to achieve an unqualified audit opinion within statutory deadlines.
- In conjunction with other Senior Finance Officers, provide a first point of contact with Central Government and other external organisations, such as the External Auditors, and major suppliers e.g. the Council's Bank and key Software Suppliers.
Skills and Experience:
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of computer based financial management systems and software applications e.g. General Ledger.
- Proven ability to interpret and implement the legislative Codes of Practice pertaining to Local Government Finance.
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to create, develop and manage complex spreadsheets.
- Ability to interpret legislation and regulations
- Ability to write clear, concise and easily understandable reports for Senior Officers and Members.
- High level diplomatic, interpersonal and negotiating skills with the ability to communicate effectively with Senior Officers, Members and External Audit
- Ability to manage workload, address conflicting priorities, meet deadlines (statutory and internal), working to a high degree of accuracy
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases