£16.86 - £17.70 per hour
about 1 month ago
Our client is seeking a Planning Technician on an initial 6 Month contract with the possibility of an extension.
Working Hours: Monday - Friday, 35 Hours
Pay Rate: £16.86 P/H PAYE
To undertake work in connection with town planning related matters, dependent upon specific areas of work. Planners will be located within one of two Sections: Development Control, (including planning enforcement and trees), or Plans and Projects) - to ensure and maintain the efficiency of the service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To be familiar with the changes in techniques, legislation and guidance relevant to the field of work.
- To respond in writing, by telephone or in person to enquiries from members of the public, developers and other organisations on town planning matters and advise appropriately.
- To undertake site inspections (accompanied and unaccompanied) as required in relation to specific town planning tasks performed.
- To ensure that third parties are appropriately consulted during all relevant stages of the development control process.
- To prepare reports on certificates of lawfulness, planning applications and applications for advertisement consent to be considered by delegated authority.
- To negotiate with planning applicants/agents as appropriate (in person, in writing or by telephone) to ensure that planning applications and advertisement applications dealt with by the post holder are determined in accordance with the development plan.
- To investigate alleged breaches of planning control and to report direct to the Principal Planning Officer (Enforcement) on any action (if any) to be taken.
- To provide cover on day-to-day matters in the absence of the supervising officer on matters directly relating to the duties of the post holder and refer more complex issues for decision where early responses are required.
- To use information technology and geographical information systems as required.
- To provide inputs into land use related policy statements and development control reports on straightforward issues.
- To contribute to the preparation of proofs of evidence required as part of the plan making process.
- To ensure that land use records are maintained and updated.
- To contribute to the preparation of development plans, supplementary planning guidance and relevant background studies.
- To carry out surveys with regard to planning policy and development control matters.
- To organise and prioritise work in accordance with targets including BVPI targets, targets contained within relevant service plans, Best Value Improvement Plans, business plans and individual appraisals.
- To carry out all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Council's policies covering equal opportunities and customer care.
- To ensure that health and safety policies are implemented at all times and raise any concerns regarding their operation or any other safety matters with the appropriate line manager.
Skills and Experience:
- To have a knowledge and understanding of dealing with planning applications including whether development proposals require permission in accordance with statutory and Council policy and procedure.
- To have knowledge of current legislation appertaining to development control work.
- Ability to prepare reports on planning applications and appeals - accurate and concise report writing skills.
- Ability to monitor the progress of planning applications in order to achieve decisions within specified/laid down time scales, ie monitoring skills, time management skills.
- Ability to identify breaches and infringements of planning control and take action as necessary in accordance with procedure.
- Ability to carry out site visits.
- Be able to prepare drawings etc as necessary, of proposals for Member
- Ability to negotiate/respond to public and developer enquiries, ie speaking and advisory skills. Performance monitoring skills
- Ability to respond and prepare reports on complex planning applications
- Initiate action as necessary in accordance with procedure for breaches in planning control
- Draft reports on planning appeals, ie high level writing, analytic skills
- Ability to attend and contribute on Authority's behalf to public and other meetings (ie presentation and speaking skills).
- To give guidance to and advise on technical and administrative work related to field of study.
- Ability to drive and must hold a full and valid current driving licence.
- Drawing and sketching skills as required for the purpose of presenting schemes and proposals to Committee Members for consideration.
- To advise on legislative changes from Central Government on relevant planning matters.
- Ability to liaise on planning issues with other professional such as Valuers, Engineers, etc.
- Ability to comply with the Council's Equal Opportunities and Customer Care Policies.
- HNC/HND in Town Planning or related subject (or equivalent).
- Degree or equivalent
- Post qualification work experience in a professional office in the field of Town Planning
- Post qualification experience with the ability to deal with the full range of planning application matters in all respects
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases