£16.65 - £17.48 per hour
5 months ago
Our client is seeking a Planning Enforcement Officer on an initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
- The post holder works under the direction of the Development Management Section Head as a member of a team that provides planning enforcement services for the Council as Local Planning Authority in line with the objectives of best value and the Service's improvement plan.
- The post holder provides advice and support to Councillors, officers within and outside the service and to developers, their agents and members of the public.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The post holder has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but some support and supervision may be required to planning support and administrative staff in relation to planning enquiries and service related matters.
The post holder has frequent contact with the public on a daily basis and will be required to liaise with officers in other parts of the Council, the County Council and other District Councils in relation to a range of planning enforcement and other planning related issues.
·Handling a personal caseload of enforcement investigations and enquiries, including making site visits, meetings, advising and negotiating with developers, Councillors and third party interests, drafting reports, dealing with all correspondence and making written recommendations to the Development Management Section Head.
·Negotiating with applicants and third parties on enforcement and related planning matters to secure the achievement of the Council's Planning Polices and community plan objectives.
·Preparing questionnaires, statements and evidence for planning appeals and proceedings and presenting evidence at hearings and inquiries, and in the Magistrate's, County or Crown Courts in connection with enforcement and related planning matters.
·Collecting, preparing and giving evidence in court in connection with prosecutions arising from planning enforcement and related investigations.
- Supporting the provision of the duty planner service within the Customer Service Centre, including "on call" attendance in office hours and the provision of telephone advice to callers on enforcement, planning and related matters.
- Providing pre-application advice to applicants and their agents orally and in writing arising principally in relation to enforcement cases in accordance with Council procedures and the pre application advisory service.
· Serving statutory notices relating to breaches of planning control and related matters.
· Co-ordination and undertaking joint enforcement exercises with other statutory agencies and co-ordination enforcement activities across other service areas.
· Taking part in direct actions associated with remedying breaches of planning control.
The post holder may occasionally be responsible for handling the receipt of payments made for or in connection with the sale of published documents, copying charges, planning and related applications or other agreements.
The job involves direct responsibility for physical resources. The work involves handling and processing of considerable amounts of manual or computerised information, where care, accuracy, confidentiality and security are critical. The work involves a significant contribution to the adaptation, design or development of land, buildings.
Skills and Experience:
Basic level of theoretical, practical and procedural knowledge in the enforcement of local authority town planning control together with knowledge of the associated organisational policies, practices and procedures of the Council and National Government in respect of planning enforcement and related areas of operation.
Experience in working with a range of customers in person, via email and telephone calls.
ICT/ technological aptitude.
Must have strong IT skills.
Relevant software packages and back office systems are MS Office applications, Intermediate/ advanced Outlook, Spreadsheets, database etc, Resource link, LAGAN, UNIFORM, GIS
The post holder will be required to accurately and precisely interpret geographical and technical drawings on paper and electronically.
- Good analytic, judgmental, creative and developmental skills.
- Pragmatic attitude where some flexibility may be required to achieve a positive outcome
- Excellent negotiation skills, particularly to remedy breaches of planning control
- Ability to handle more than one complex task at a time, the post holder will carry a caseload of planning enforcement investigations.
- Excellent communications skills including the ability to communicate with people at all levels from members of the public to professional planning agents.
- Ability to use initiative and discretion over a broad range of planning enforcement related activities and to reach conclusions with reference where required to more senior officers. The job will however be subject to general managerial direction.
- Good report writing skills.
- Ability to set priorities for own workload.
- Ability to deal with emotionally challenging situations. It is likely that on occasion those involved in the enforcement process may be upset or angry and may place emotional demands on the post holder.
For this role you will need the following:
- 2 Years written referencing (All gaps verified).
- you are eligible to work in the UK.
- Last 2 employees names.
- Driving License.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.