St. Albans, Hertfordshire
£20.00 - £21.00 per annum
11 days ago
Our client is seeking a Personal Assistant on an initial 3 Month contract with the possibility of an extension.
Working Hours: Monday - Friday, 37 Hours
Pay Rate: £20.00 P/H PAYE
To provide a full confidential PA service for the Deputy Chief Executive (Finance & Legal) including diary management, arranging meetings, typing and drafting correspondence and responding to customer and Councillor enquiries.
To ensure an effective office management and efficient day to day running of the department including acting as the lead officer for issues relating to HR, FOIs, complaints, IT, website publications and health and safety.
To provide assistance to sections managers as required
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage Deputy Chief Executive's workload efficiently by screening, prioritising and dealing with high volume of complex, sensitive and confidential information and issues. Act with discretion, investigate and respond to queries on behalf of Deputy Chief Executive or delegate to Senior officers as appropriate and monitor response time to ensure responses are sent in a timely manner. Take decisions and provide helpful advice and suggestions on how issues may be dealt with effectively when they do not merit the DCE's direct attention.
- Deal with enquiries from the public, Councillors, MPs, other departments and external agencies. Monitor response times to Councillor and MP correspondence and liaise with Section Managers to ensure responses are sent on time. Liaise with the Portfolio Holders, members, county and districts councils, MPs and other local bodies and groups on behalf of the Head of Service.
- Support the Deputy Chief Executive in the drafting and preparation of Cabinet, Council and other Committee reports. including undertaking research, analysing complex and sensitive information, the preparation of powerpoints, papers and reports and sign off process to meet corporate and statutory deadlines.
- Manage a programme of work for the Deputy Chief Executive which includes following up on actions and updating action trackers (i.e.: the production of budget report) and ensure these are completed within appropriate timescales. Brief the Deputy Chief Executive on documents requiring his attention.
- Manage electronic diaries, arrange and manage the logistics of meetings of the Deputy Chief Executive using initiative to prioritise and make best use of time by exercising effective diary management and by running the office efficiently.
- Compose and manage all communications, electronic, telephone, verbal or hard copy through effective administrative follow up and information management systems to enable the Deputy Chief Executive to take decisions and or respond to other people in a timely manner.
- Create professional documents and presentations on behalf of the Deputy Chief Executive, using appropriate IT applications. Create and maintain effective information record systems ensuring documents are kept confidential as necessary
- Act as the lead officer for Departmental HR by undertaking/ensuring completion of various office tasks and liaison with the Councils HR Team, external agencies and consultants e.g. staff payroll and sickness returns, annual leave calculations, recruitment, new starters set up and appraisal monitoring
- Act as the lead officer for complaints and Freedom of Information requests. Research into issues and produce appropriate responses on complex and sensitive matters that reflect the style and views of the Deputy Chief Executive using discretion and judgement. Review official complaints and responses and ensure investigations are carried out and responses sent within timescales.
- Raise purchase orders, order departmental stationary and code invoices including researching into suppliers queries. Authorised signatory for a limit of £500
Skills and Experience:
- Education: Degree educated or equivalent level of knowledge gained through five year's work experience in a senior PA position
- Possess GCSE grades A-C in Maths and English or equivalent;
- Health and Safety Qualification
- Expert knowledge of using Microsoft Office Suite including Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good communication skills with the ability to advise, negotiate, present or persuade others using discretion and judgement
- Advanced copy typing and keyboard skills
- Good knowledge of data protection, security and confidentiality requirements
- To have 2 years experience of working in a senior secretarial position in a highly pressurised environment, requiring tact, judgement and discretion.
- Experience of complying with security, data protection and confidentiality standards of the Council.
- Experience of organising meetings and.managing complex diaries
- Experience of working within a political environment with a strong awareness of political and organisational sensitivities.
- Experience of working in Local Government
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases