£11.89 - £12.48 per hour
20 days ago
Our client is seeking a Payroll Officer on the initial 2 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 hours per week
Monday - Friday
- To postholder is responsible for assisting with the preparation, running and output of all payrolls within the shared service. The postholder will also deputise for the senior payroll officer in their absence
Duties and Responsibilities-
- To prepare and run all Payrolls using the Councils payroll system (currently Northgate ResourceLink). To be responsible for the printing and validation of all payroll output including third party payments, payslips and reports and to run BACS payments.
- To assist with any enhancements/improvements to HR/Payroll systems as system administrator and to liaise with Software company to correct system problems on behalf of all payroll users.
- To maintain an accurate working knowledge of current payroll legislation and dispensations to ensure correct tax/NI deductions and to check, input and run car mileage claims using car mileage module.
- To maintain an accurate working knowledge of the Councils Occupational Sick/Maternity Pay schemes and to input, run and validate the Absence Management Module. To be aware of all current legislation relating to SSP and SMP.
- To maintain an accurate working knowledge of current Tax and National Insurance legislation, to advise employees/departments on these issues and to answer external correspondence.
- To maintain an accurate working knowledge of the Local Government Pension Scheme and to be aware of current regulations in order to issue accurate pension documentation to employees and the administering authority.
- To provide advice to HR Business Partners and Recruitment on all payroll related issues.
- To provide costing information to General Ledger and to write/adapt system reports using Business Objects to provide specific departmental information as requested.
- Responsible for balancing and reconciliation of payroll output using a spreadsheet package and for the balancing of all payroll suspense codes using Oracle Business Objects.
- To assist with the calculation and running of payroll monthly and year end documentation to meet HMRC deadlines.
- To deputise for the Senior Payroll Officer in their absence in accordance with the grade
- To carry out such other duties as required by your line manager from time to time in accordance with the grading of the post.
Skills and Experience-
- Knowledge of current payroll legislation
- Knowledge of Local Government Terms and Conditions
- Knowledge of Pension Schemes
- Good knowledge of Council services
- IT Packages e.g. Word, Excel, GroupWise
- Numerate and accurate
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and literacy skills
- Excellent Good standard of IT skills skills - both written and verbal
- Ability to prioritise workload in response to client and business requirements.
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Good standard of general education
- Evidence of continuing professional development in payroll
- A good team player
- Positive commitment to customer care
- Flexible approach
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.