£9.00 - £9.45 per hour
26 days ago
Our client is seeking a Maritime Assistant on an initial 3 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
26 Hours per week
Monday - Sunday
The role of the Maritime Assistant is to undertake, either individually, or as part of a team, general maritime duties relating to the Section. This will be within any of the Ports and Harbours of Truro, Penryn, Penzance, St Ives, Newquay, Bude, Portscatho, Portreath and the Prince of Wales Pier but may also involve other ports, harbours and other maritime assets within Cornwall if required to do so.
Such duties will involve those associated with a harbour and/or pier authority and will involve working afloat and ashore dealing with conservancy (byelaw enforcement, marking of navigable channels etc.), operation of wet dock gates (Penzance only) provision of maritime services (moorings, laid up shipping berths, commercial cargo vessels etc.) together with the maintenance of boats, plant and structures.
Some of the work will involve tidal working i.e. operation of wet dock gates (Penzance only), mooring and unmooring of commercial vessels (including laid up shipping), laying and recovering moorings.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist with all aspects of harbour conservancy including buoy laying and mooring maintenance, harbour patrols afloat, wreck removal and clearance and byelaw enforcement
- To act as a coxswain or crew member on any of the Council's craft together with undertaking the maintenance of the vessel and its equipment
- To undertake mooring work on commercial vessels, primarily at Truro and Penzance. This will involve line handling and mooring, unmooring and shifting vessels
- To operate the wet dock gates at Penzance and this may be on a shift basis over a certain period of the year, i.e. seasonally, monthly etc.
- To assist the Senior Maritime Assistant (Moorings) in all aspects of the management of leisure moorings including allocations, siting, mooring maintenance and checking of positions.
- To undertake any work as required in all aspects of maintenance including workshop practices.
- To assist with maintenance of all Maritime assets including re-pointing quay walls, road lining and general property maintenance
- The role will also be responsible for health and safety issues, including public rescue equipment, around the harbour ensuring that a pro-active inspection and reporting regime is maintained
- To assist in any emergency i.e. fire on vessels, salvage, search and rescue etc. and to undertake any clean-up operation following a pollution incident
- To collect income from harbour users and maintain satisfactory records
- To enforce harbour byelaws and other harbour conservancy issues (Notices to Mariners, Aids to Navigation, etc.)
- To ensure the overall tidiness and cleanliness of the harbour and assets within it
- To be able to drive any of the section vehicles i.e. van, pickup and undertake training if necessary for towing.
- To wear a uniform (provided) and undertake official duties ashore and afloat when required. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided and will have to be worn when required.
- To ensure a positive and flexible approach to the variety of tasks and work patterns including tidal working within the role as the service develops to enable effective and appropriate staffing levels to meet customer demand.
Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrates some prior knowledge and understanding of the maritime industry
- Ability to handle small craft including a work boat and various patrol craft.
- The post holder should have previous experience in undertaking maintenance tasks.
- Displays empathy and patience when dealing with customers and deals appropriately with challenging behaviours including demonstrating good interpersonal and social skills in order to deal with the many and varied customers and stakeholders.
- Ability to work on your own initiative whilst representing the broader interests of the Maritime.
- Have a knowledge of basic IT skills.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases