Hailsham, East Sussex
£14.85 - £15.59 per hour
4 months ago
Our Client is seeking a Legal Officer on an initial 7 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To undertake routine civil litigation work to include preparing and issuing court proceedings for rent arrears, housing litigation and some criminal litigation (prosecution) preparation on behalf of the legal shared service between the Councils. This will include preparing court forms and issuing proceedings, some drafting, completing routine court paperwork, such as Claim Forms, Particulars of Claim, assisting with witness statements, preparing court bundles and liaising with Council Officers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To advise on and prepare all routine documents related to civil litigation, housing litigation and some simple criminal matters, including possession cases, debt recovery, environmental offences and insolvency cases
- Preparing court forms and issue proceedings at the County Court and liaising with court officials to book hearings.
- Providing general legal support across other contentious areas such as planning enforcement and assist with legal research when required.
- To assist with the preparation of witness statements for court cases, including working with housing officers, possibly liaising with housing tenants and other members of the public to obtain evidence relevant to a case.
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Legal Services Manager or Principal Solicitor, to instruct external solicitors and/or brief Counsel when authorised and to attend conferences with Counsel, as required.
- To provide routine advice on the legal position on all contentious civil, debt and housing litigation matters, including giving practical advice on how to resolve such disputes in the most cost effective way.
- To give legal advice as required to officers within the Council and also on relevant shared service projects.
- To undertake such duties commensurate with the level of the post as may be required form time to time
- To abide by the Council's Equal Opportunity Policy Statement which makes commitment to promote equal opportunities and race equality in the council.
- To act in accordance with the Council's health and safety policy to take reasonable care for your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your work activity.
- To undertake such other activities as may be decided by the Council, the Head of Business Services or the Legal Services Manager/Deputy Legal Services Manager as commensurate with the level of the post.
Skills and Experience:
- Some knowledge and understanding of the law relating to civil litigation and housing.
- Some knowledge and understanding in of the law in relating to criminal litigation.
- Some knowledge of local government law.
- Skills and Aptitudes.
- A good level of IT skills including word processing.
- Evidence of proven written and verbal communication skills from previous work experience or recognised qualification.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Good attention to detail.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases