25 days ago
Our client is seeking a Legal Executive on the initial 2 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
22.2 hours per week
Wednesday - Friday
To provide representation and advice on behalf of the Council, primarily in relation to property issues. It will be necessary to work with IT technology and associated systems in accordance with Council policies.
Duties and Responsibilities-
- To provide legal advice and assistance to the Council and outside bodies to which the Director of Legal Services provides a service, principally in relation to commercial property matters including development contracts, commercial leases and associated landlord and tenant issues.
- To undertake conveyancing work including conduct of complex matters in connection with sales, purchases, leases and licences of, or relating to, the Council's property, associated bodies and other clients.
- To appoint and brief counsel, as required.
- To institute and defend civil proceedings relating to the work of the Council.
- Attend meetings at both officer and member level to provide legal and procedural advice as required.
- To advise and assist other legal staff in relation to property issues.
- To answer queries from other departments of the Council and outside bodies in connection with the landholdings and other business of the Council.
- In conjunction with the Property Solicitor, to oversee the work of legal and administrative staff undertaking legal and associated administrative work in connection with the Council's land interests.
- To assist with the preparation of reports relating to property matters as required.
- To complete timesheets and such other work records as necessary to assist Legal Services Department in maintaining appropriate statistics and management information.
- To have a thorough appreciation of legislation and case law relating to the work of the Property Section and to keep up to date on new legislation and case law.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function of the Legal Services Department, commensurate with the grading, nature of the work and level of responsibilities of the post.
Skills and Experience-
- Conducting a high volume varied caseload of commercial property work, both freehold and leasehold where the title is both registered and unregistered including the drafting and negotiating of complex documentation.
- The ability to give clear, concise and accurate legal advice both verbally and in writing
- A high level of commitment, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to undertake effective research, coherently present findings and effectively present persuasive argument both verbally and in writing to aid others' understanding and aimed at their needs
- Detailed knowledge of current legislation and practice relating to conveyancing matters
- Commercial awareness
- Ability to use initiative and make decisions
- Working knowledge of relevant IT applications
- Knowledge of current and proposed legislation and case law relating to property, commercial landlord and tenant work and planning and highways law insofar as they relate to property transactions.
- The ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure
- The ability to appropriately prioritise and to meet deadlines
- The ability to work on your own initiative, to identify strategies and to resolve difficulties to meet specified outcomes
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Be committed to the provision of a quality service
- CILEx Level 6 Higher Professional Diploma in Law and Practice
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.