£15.11 - £15.87 per hour
4 months ago
Our client is seeking a Legal Assistant on an initial 2 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
36 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To work in one or more of the following areas:
Children's Social Care
Civil and Criminal Litigation
Regeneration & Property
2. To provide advice, draft correspondence and documents to support Lawyers and Senior Lawyers.
3. To prepare cases for hearings and to process a heavy caseload.
4. To provide advocacy in routine cases.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To undertake legal and technical tasks in connection with legal cases within an area of specialism including:
- Interviewing clients and witnesses and drafting statements, preparing documents for courts and tribunal including applications, statements of case, draft orders and pleadings.
- Drafting correspondence, documents, notices, orders, giving advice in writing and on the telephone and in person.
- Representing the council in court.
- Take notes at hearings and conferences with Counsel.
- Instructing counsel.
- Dealing with correspondence.
- Be responsible for a case load of routine legal work.
- Attend court or tribunals or public inquiries as an advocate in straight forward applications or similar.
- Assist and support other members of staff 5. Prepare bundles for court hearings in accordance with Practice Directions.
- Keep up to date with new and proposed legislation, new cases, and other developments and to review and give basic advice as required.
- Keep more senior staff informed of any important issues arising which may affect the satisfactory progress of cases.
- Conduct searches of the Probate Registry, Land Registry, Office of Public Guardian, and others are required.
- Make appropriate use of information technology.
- Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility and all employees are required to act in such a way that at all times safeguards the health and well being of children and vulnerable adults.
- Carry out duties with due regard to the Council's Customer Care, Equal Opportunities, Information Governance, Data Protection and Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post.
Skills and Experience:
Significant experience of administrative work in an office environment dealing with correspondence, filing, preparing documents and using IT systems.
Good presentation skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and concisely in writing and orally
Ability to provide services in a manner which is consistent with the Council's equal opportunities policies.
Accurate data entry skills.
Good organisational skills.
Ability to prepare cases for hearings and to process a heavy caseload.
Ability to undertake routine litigation.
Ability to prepare cases for hearings.
Ability to undertake advocacy in routine cases.
Ability to analyse information, evaluate evidence, solve problems and present solutions at an appropriate level.
Ability to provide advice and present arguments in a confident, articulate and persuasive manner.
Ability to develop and maintain good working relations with clients and work collaborativlly corporately and departmentally.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases