£15.98 - £16.78 per hour
about 1 month ago
Our client is seeking a Legal Assistant on an initial 7 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
35 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
- To assist other members of the Shared Legal Service in the delivery of their duties.
- To be responsible for representing the interests of the service within the wider council organisations in any of the four authorities and with external clients.
- To manage a case load of legal matters
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide, under limited supervision, timely and effective operational legal advice and assistance to officers across both authorities as part of a team of lawyers responsible for Social Care and Education and to any other clients of the Shared Legal Service.
- To have a good and up to date knowledge and practical experience in at least one of the above areas of legal work.
- Liaising with solicitors and other legal professionals and working with outside bodies including the court service on matters relating to the work of the section.
- To manage a caseload of wide ranging work, including but not limited to, drafting legal letters, legal agreements, deeds, notices, orders, consents, by-laws and such matters in accordance with precedents, relating to the Social Care and Education team, managing competing demands and meeting deadlines and the requirements of the Shared Legal Service.
- To work proactively to maintain and improve the relationship with the clients of the Shared Legal Service.
- To provide support to the team to ensure effective service delivery
- To undertake duties on behalf of the Monitoring Officer (AD Corporate Governance) for both authorities.
- To undertake any other duties that are commensurate with the grade.Variable Grade Criteria
- Take responsibility, under limited supervision, for providing advice and assistance to clients on a range of legal issues relevant to the team.
- To assist in ensuring that the Council's position is presented in the most effective and efficient manner in any court, tribunal or other forum, including instructing counsel where necessary or expedient.
- To supervise, and be responsible for, the work of (approx 2 or 3) junior staff in preparation of legal cases as required
- To deputise for and assist senior colleagues
- To carry out a wide range of specialist legal research, including but not limited to case law, precedent and interpretation of new and existing statutes for members of the Shared Legal Service with minimal supervision. It is anticipated that this legal research will form the basis of formal legal advice that will be provided to clients and will have long term consequences for the organisation and other clients.
- To be able to move seamlessly from completing routine legal work through to providing legal advice and carrying out legal research and drafting on more complex matters
- Provide complex and specialist advice to managers, and external clients on a range of legal matters which have long term consequences for the individual client or the organisation.
- Work with clients dealing with contentious, and consequential, matters.
- Regular independent attendance at courts and/or having direct responsibility to negotiate and agree complex legal documentation, all with substantial consequence to the organisation or client, without referring up to a manager.
- Maintain an in depth knowledge of the legislation that is relevant to the area of law you are working in and provide briefings for lawyers and senior lawyers within your team should there be anything relevant that they should be aware of on your own initiative.
- Contributing to developing the service plan for the Shared Service.
- Undertake projects to assist, support or where required, deputise for the other fee earners within the team, whether on legal, professional or managerial issues as required in order to ensure the best use of the Department's resources.
- Take a proactive role in working with clients to manage demand from their service for legal services.
Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of relevant legislation for the service area
- Understanding of current issues and best practice on service delivery relevant to the service areas.
- Experience of working on own initiative and of dealing with sensitive/urgent matters.
- Ability to work under pressure and respond efficiently to the changing needs of the clients.
- Ability to contribute to the ongoing development of the Shared Legal Service.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases