St. Albans, Hertfordshire
£22.00 - £23.10 per hour
21 days ago
Our client is seeking a Leasehold Management Officer on an initial 3 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To perform all duties in connection with Estate and Tenancy Management for Leaseholders and give guidance and supervision to the Housing Assistant in income collection.
This includes management of the lease and recovery of management charges, service charges and all charges in respect of repairs, maintenance and major works. The postholder is also required to deal with any variations, transfers or breaches of the lease including management of nuisance and alterations to the property
There is a strong emphasis on leasehold consultation and participation both statutory and non statutory within the responsibilities of this post
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Setting charges and raising invoices to collect all charges due from leaseholders. Ensuring that charges reflect the costs of service provision and are calculated in a clear and transparent way in order that they can be scrutinised and defended at LVT as necessary. To advise leaseholders on the range of payment options and sources of advice and assistance in paying their charges.
- Overall responsibility for the management of all leases held by the department on properties sold under Right to Buy. Ensuring leaseholders adhere to the terms of their lease and any breaches are dealt with in a timely manner. Preparing reports for LVT and mortgage lenders where a breach is not remedied and more formal action is required including forfeiture and to attend court or LVT to give evidence on behalf of the Council including cross examination by other parties or their legal representatives. To deal with requests for extension of leases and purchase of the freehold via collective enfranchisement.
- To supervise and support any Housing Apprentice in the monitoring and collection of leasehold charges and provision of performance information in respect of income collection.
- To seek methods of promoting and developing leaseholder involvement in service provision including managing the leasehold forum, leaseholder open day and estate based meetings, development of the leaseholder handbook and newsletter and all published information relating to leasehold management either in print or on the website.
- To ensure consultation in respect of charges for major works and qualifying contracts is carried out in accordance with Section 151 of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002. This includes advising colleagues of procedures and dealing with any observations from leaseholders and recognised tenants associations in the prescribed format.
- To supervise and advise departmental and council colleagues in the completion of Right to Buy offer notices and completion of leasehold information packs which are a requirement on transfer of the lease.
- To produce performance information to managers, councillors and tenants scrutiny panel in respect of services provided to leaseholders and also to carry out benchmarking with similar service providers.
- To ensure correspondence, written and IT records are maintained and updated efficiently and in accordance with target timescales. To include the Orchard System regarding any relevant transactions, all lease transfers and details of all consultation and invoicing. This includes dealing with any enquiries and complaints from leaseholders and their representatives including councillors, legal representatives and advocates etc and to respond on behalf of the Council in an efficient and professional manner
- To maintain professional knowledge of developments in leasehold management and best practice and provide briefings to colleagues.
- To assist the Capital Projects Team Leader in all Health and Safety and compliance related matters, including (but not limited to) preparing and maintaining risk assessments, asbestos register, PPE registers. If required to act as Health and Safety Co-ordinator for the team.
Skills and Experience:
- In depth knowledge and experience of leasehold management including consultation requirements in accordance with Section 151 of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act.
- Knowledge of Housing legislation including landlord and tenant law and legal procedures relating to income management and debt recovery.
- A commitment to and an understanding of the concept of Equal Opportunities Policies.
- Good working knowledge of IT systems e.g. MS Office and Orchard housing systems.
- Knowledge of environmental protection legislation including Health and Safety Regulations and Fire Regulations.
- Knowledge of commercial property management.
- Experience of providing a leasehold management service and of dealing with a range of complex estate management issues
- Demonstrable experience and commitment to involving leaseholders in developing and improving services.
- Experience of working within policies and procedures and development of policies and procedures.
- Experience of providing information and briefings to colleagues.
- Experience of staff supervision.
- Experience of commercial property management.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly to housing tenants. This includes writing correspondence and management reports
- The ability to advise, persuade and negotiate with and leaseholders utilising a range of skills to ensure they meet their legal obligations and any charges in a timely manner.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with customers, colleagues and other stakeholders through e.g. focus groups.
- Ability to organise calculation of charges and invoicing to meet pre-scheduled deadlines in accordance with the terms of the lease in order to maximise income.
- To be able to use initiative in making decisions in relation to issues of Leasehold income management and negotiating on reductions or adjustments to charges.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases