£22.60 - £23.6 per hour
12 days ago
We have an exciting opportunity for a Lawyer to join our clients offices based in Morden on a temporary contract basis for 6 months with the possibility of an extension.
As the Lawyer, your main duties will include:
- To provide timely and effective specialist legal advice to elected members, including committees and to Chief Officers, senior managers and officers across both authorities as part of a team of lawyers, and to any other clients of the Shared Legal Service.
- To be responsible for providing innovative solutions to deal with complex issues arising in connection with the work within the team and the legal issues presented by clients.
- To manage a large caseload of wide ranging work, including but not limited to; drafting legal letters, legal agreements, deeds, notices, orders, consents by-laws as well as negotiating agreements, settlements and such matters, managing competing demands and meeting deadlines and the requirements of the Shared Legal Service.
- Where relevant, to prepare and process all matters relevant to any proceedings before a court, arbitration, mediation or public inquiry and to attend such as the client's advocate or, if appropriate, select and instruct appropriate external legal representation.
- To work proactively to maintain and improvement the relationship with the clients of the Shared Legal Service.
- To supervise, and be responsible for the work of, junior staff as required and to provide management and leadership to the staff working on their cases.
- To undertake duties on behalf of the Monitoring Officer for all five authorities.
To be successful for this Lawyer post you will need have:
- Qualified legal executive, solicitor or barrister or chartered legal executive with a background in local government
- Good knowledge of relevant legislation to the service area and the decision making processes and procedures
- Good understanding of current issues and best practice on service delivery relevant to the service areas
- Good and demonstrable analytical legal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and respond efficiently to the changing needs of the clients
- Ability to be able to travel to attend client officers or courts wherever the client's case is being considered
- Commitment to the principles of and development of the Shared Legal Service
- Effective Communicator
- Qualified legal executive, solicitor or barrister
- 2 year local authority experience
35 hours per week
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.