£16.48 - £17.30 per hour
9 days ago
Our client is seeking a Income Officer on an initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
36 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To deliver an effective income collection and recovery service in accordance with legislation, of the councils policies, performance standards/ targets and customer satisfaction requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maximising rent collection in line with targets, offering housing benefit and debt counselling advice as necessary.
- Reducing rent arrears on a continuing basis through the effective enforcement of the rent arrears policy, procedure and systems.
- Responding prompting and effectively to enquiries or complaints with regards to rent matters.
- Assisting vulnerable tenants with prompt and appropriate action and advice, and liaising with other agencies, departments and groups.
- Responsible for preparing timely and accurate reports on arrears cases.
- Attending Court hearings to provide evidence and represent BHP on individual arrears or repossession cases.
- Implementing appropriate procedures to ensure effective fraud prevention and referring suspected fraud cases to the Council's Audit and Investigation Unit in order to comply with statutory requirements and protect the Council's and BHP's interest.
- Maintaining appropriate and accurate records to comply with statutory and service wide reporting requirements on performance issues. Proactively monitoring and reporting to the Manager in respect of service delivery, performance indicators and target.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of housing management practice and all relevant BHP and Housing Management Service procedures in relation to rent collection.
- Staff Management and Development
- Assisting in the induction and briefing of new staff, placement students or other parties as necessary. Sharing knowledge, experience and learning with colleagues across the Organisation.
- Customer Care and Relations
- Building and maintaining positive external and internal relationships to achieve the Organisation's objectives.
- Integrating customer care into working practices through a "Customer First" approach, ensuring all are treated with respect and courtesy and corporate standards are adhered to.
- Leads and participates in projects, working groups, service developments and service reviews either Division based or BHP wide as directed.
- Equality's & Diversity:
- Demonstrate commitment of BHP's Equal Opportunities and Customer Care policies and ensures BHP meets the requirements of relevant legislation, regulations and equality's best practice.
- Promoting and integrating BHP's equality's approach and priorities in employment and ensuring diversity needs are fully addressed.
- Health & Safety:
- Adheres to BHP's Health and Safety policy and requirements of the post. Keeps up to date with legislation and policy relating to services.
- Information Technology:
- Maximising the use of information and communications technology to support services and deliver efficiency improvements. Ensuring that staff are able to fully use existing and newly developed IT systems.
- Internet access will be completely removed from any member of staff without further discussion where there is evidence of excessive personal use of the Internet.
- Additional Information:
- All other duties reasonably commensurate with the role.
- The job requires normal working hours to be within 08.00-20.00 Monday to Friday and Saturday morning parameters.
- Flexible working will be required as will attendance at a limited number of evening meetings and events.
- The post holder will carry out all reasonable duties flexibly within the scope and nature of the role.
- Deputise as and when required.
Skills and Experience:
- One year in Housing Management or relevant experience within a multicultural environment either in an advisory or enforcement role.
- Working knowledge of Northgate Housing or any other computerised housing package.
- Broad understanding of Housing Legislation as it relates to possession proceedings for rent arrears.
- Good understanding of housing benefit regulations.
- Good understanding of the Rent Arrears Pre Action Protocol.
- Good general knowledge of Housing Management issues and problems.
- P.C. Literate and ability to use Microsoft office applications.
- Ability to effectively interview customers through active listening and negotiating skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing with a wide range of people, including Councillors, MPs, judges, the Ombudsman and Tenant Representatives Ability to work as part of a team in a pressurised environment.
- Ability to prioritise own workload and manage ever 4 changing demands Ability to understand, interpret and advise through practical problem solving Ability to write detailed reports and produce a high standard of accuracy in own work.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases