£13.11 - £13.77 per annum
about 1 month ago
Our client is seeking a Housing Options Officer on an initial 1 months contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
- To prevent homelessness by providing housing information, advice and assistance to customers across all housing tenures.
- To develop links with partners in order to identify suitable accommodation for customers approaching the Housing Options Team.
- To increase housing options for people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To interview, learn the housing need and provide tailored advice to all people that approach the Council for guidance on their housing situation.
- To correctly process all applications from people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness and offer advice and assistance in accordance with legislation and Council policy.
- To take all necessary steps to prevent homelessness occurring where possible, including carrying out home visits to landlords, families, mediation and conciliation wherever possible.
- To pursue enquiries as required by the Housing Acts to establish homelessness, priority need and local connections, in order to make decisions concerning the Council's duty towards individual households.
- To take appropriate action when dealing with complaints from customers in relation to unlawful eviction and harassment and liaise/take advice from the Council's Legal Department.
- To ensure that customers receive a high quality professional service that meets their needs, the purpose of the Service and the Council's corporate priorities
- Contribute to the future development of the service in particular developing new prevention initiatives and policy work including the Housing and Homelessness Strategies.
- Promote new and strengthen existing partnerships in order to publicise the service and improve services to customers.
- Represent the Council at meetings with internal departments and external organisations
- To monitor the progress of individual cases in your workload from the initial application to the final decision, meeting the statutory requirements.
- To arrange emergency temporary accommodation using appropriate accommodation where necessary.
- Refer debt cases to the Citizens Advice Bureau as and when necessary in order to prevent homelessness.
- To represent the Housing Service in the Rugby Landlord's Forum.
- To maintain the Council's Homeless and Housing Advice Databases and to regularly update all casework records, extracting information from the databases where appropriate.
- Help conduct research and provide the Community Advice & Support Team Leader with performance information on customers to ensure performance targets are met.
- To provide statistical returns to the Department of Communities and Local Government
- To liaise with other members of the Housing Options Team with respect to processing housing waiting list applications
- To arrange Floating Support placements where appropriate.
- To liaise with other agency providers and multi-agency groups locally as part of the process of placing families or single persons with specific needs in the most appropriate form of accommodation.
- To prepare and maintain information leaflets relating to Housing Advice and Homelessness, including updating information for the Council's Web Site.
- To keep updated on relevant Housing and Homelessness Law.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience in housing or customer focused environments with demonstrable knowledge of housing options.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to provide complex information to customers in a format that is easily understood.
- Good understanding of housing and homelessness legislation.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- A good standard of education to GCSE level or equivalent.
- Strong PC skills including working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Ability to carry out day to day administrative functions, including maintaining case notes and writing reports in a timely and accurate manner.
- Full driving license and access to vehicle.
- Ability to carry out presentations to small groups to promote the service.
- Demonstrate good mediation and negotiation skills.
- Experience of working in target driven working environments.
For this role you will need the following:
- 2 Years written referencing (All gaps verified).
- You are eligible to work in the UK.
- You have a suitable NI Number.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.