£13.00 - £13.65 per hour
4 months ago
Our client is seeking a Housing Officer on an initial 9 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To support the Housing Solutions Team to deliver Housing Options services to customers, by administering the Housing Register process in line with legislation and the council's policies and procedures. To operate within a range of law; guidance; best practice and policy; with due consideration given to the Housing Act 1996 and other relevant legislation; including the Choice Based Lettings Code of Guidance.
To provide robust decisions on applications for affordable housing, including working with vulnerable people and external organisations. To accurately manage cases and maintain the housing register, allocating properties and advising customers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To manage a caseload arising from customer enquiries and applications, providing accurate advice and guidance on the Housing Register process and allocations schemes. Ensure customers are kept informed of progress and the options available to them in line with service procedures and standards.
- Undertake telephone duty cover and deal with face to face enquiries, providing a customer focussed response and high standards of customer care at all times.
- Carry out accurate casework investigation; assessment; decision making on applications; and advising applicants of outcomes in line with legislation and policy including; obtaining medical reports; verifying information; carrying out home visits when required; inputting information and visit reports; and prioritising applications in accordance with agreed policy.
- Ensure that customers are correctly banded and reviewed and that all relevant data is entered onto the relevant systems. Responsible for maintaining accurate case records using the service's defined systems and processes.
- Advising on the best and most appropriate solutions to customers housing problems to ensure the best outcome for every customer. The post-holder will understand and explain to customers the full range of housing solutions available to the customer to promote the prevention and relief of homelessness within legislation. Make referrals to other pathways in the Housing Service as appropriate.
- Undertake all necessary processes to make nominations to Housing Association properties or those of other local authorities.
- Support applicants to bid for and select appropriate properties through advice and/or by taking administrative actions.
- Contribute to, and support the manager and/or senior to, design and develop customer information (leaflets, website, displays etc), and team correspondence. Assist the team with events, publicity & consultations.
- Assist with the implementation, maintenance, and development of appropriate systems and processes to meet the needs of the service; providing feedback on any opportunities for improvements.
- To safeguard children and vulnerable adults, by liaising where appropriate with all other relevant statutory agencies as well as voluntary organisations including the private sector. Identify high risk cases including, but not exclusive to matters relating to; safeguarding; risk management; legal issues; and appeals, and ensure potentially serious cases are brought to the attention of the line manager at an early stage.
- To liaise with statutory and voluntary agencies, and other council services as necessary to achieve casework outcomes.
- Deliver an effective and appropriate service to all customers, fairly and without discrimination. To promote Equalities and respect the Diversity of all.
- To be familiar and compliant with the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information Act in line with council policies and standards.
- Assist in the undertaking of the induction and training of any new or existing staff with guidance from the Locality Manager.
- To undertake all duties as instructed commensurate to the post.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience in a Housing Association, Local Authority Housing Management, Support Worker environment or similar.
- Practical experience of the interpretation and application of legislation, policy and procedures and best practice in a Housing environment, or a Regulated field.
- Some understanding and/or working knowledge of Housing Allocations Schemes, Homelessness legislation, related case law and Code of Guidance. A thorough understanding of the Homeless Prevention agenda and how this interprets from strategy to service delivery.
- Skills, abilities and behaviours Experience of dealing with a diverse range of customers with multiple and complex needs in a challenging environment.
- Ability to actively demonstrate understanding of the customer perspective and customer base.
- Uses this knowledge to inform their day to day actions. Seeks to consistently deliver a high quality, best value service.
- Able to demonstrate taking personal responsibility for delivering an excellent service to meet the needs of customers. Experience of working with large or complex amounts of information or of managing a caseload.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases