£11.19 - £11.75 per hour
3 months ago
Our client is seeking a Housing Needs Officer on an initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 hours per week
Monday - Friday
- Provide a high standard of housing advice, homelessness prevention, housing support and housing options to customers or their representatives requesting assistance with housing.
- Meet the Council's statutory duties under the Housing Act 1996 (as amended by the Homelessness Act 2002, Localism Act 2011 and Homelessness Reduction Act 2017).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with households to assess, advised clients and investigate homelessness applications made under the terms of the Housing Act 1996 (as amended by the Homelessness Act 2002, Localism Act 2011 and Homelessness Reduction Act 2017).
- Work in partnership with other public bodies and agencies such as Adult and Children Services, Probation, Community Mental Health Teams, Police, Prison Service, NHS and supported/housing providers to identify help and assistance for households.
- Complete an assessment of the applicant's circumstances, in all cases, to determine the duty owed to the client and inform the client in writing of the Council's decision in accordance with the relevant legislation and procedures in consultation where appropriate with the Senior Housing Needs Officers. Recommend the appropriate homelessness duty to the Housing Needs Team Leader.
- Complete a Personal Housing Plan with each client, compiling a tailored set of actions both the client and Housing Needs Officer will complete in order to prevent or relieve the client's homelessness.
- Work with the Housing Needs Team Leader to allocate vacant properties through Choice Based Lettings and nominate successful households to landlords.
- Assess and recommend to the Senior Housing Needs Officer households eligible for the Council's Rent Bond/Rent Deposit Scheme. Carry out follow up enquiries to ensure loans are repaid and tenancies conducted satisfactorily.
- Interview customers at the office, at advice surgeries in the District and in their homes.
- Provide office cover on a rota basis on behalf of the Housing Needs Team.
- Support clients who have been assisted into private sector rented accommodation to sustain their tenancies.
- Assist in the provision of the emergency out of hours homelessness service.
- Produce good quality information which meets the needs of the user, is easy to understand, reliable, accurate, complete and timely: ensure that data and information are securely stored and confidentiality is maintained where applicable.
- Report on performance, providing data which is 'fit for purpose' to enable effective management of service(s).
- Observe equality and diversity practices and procedures and promote equal opportunities at all times.
- Discharge such other reasonable duties appropriate to the appointment and grading of the post as may be assigned from time to time, including work in connection with the Council's emergency planning function and in particular to arrange for the Council's Control Room to be immediately set up if notified that this is required.
Skills and Responsibilities:
- Experience of working with the public
- Ability to work with professionals from different disciplines
- Able to demonstrate experience in a wide range of IT systems including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to negotiate and influence people
- Ability to work with all sectors of the community
- Ability to work effectively and flexibly as part of a team
- Ability to work unsupervised or with minimum supervision, organise own workload effectively, prioritising tasks and working to defined deadlines.
- Be able to make informed decisions and work under pressure.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases