£11.52 - £12.09 per hour
about 1 year ago
Our client is seeking a Housing Assistant Officer on an initial 1 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To be responsible for maximising the collection of all rental income and other monies, by taking proactive action with tenants and leaseholders or residents of the temporary housing service to maximise their income, minimising their outgoings and enabling them to pay their rent effectively. Where this is not possible to instigate court action to minimise rent arrears.
To deliver a range of comprehensive Tenancy and Estate Management housing services to the Council tenants, leaseholders and residents within a neighbourhood or residents of the Temporary Housing Service and clients of the Housing Support Service. To manage the void process and give assistance to tenants moving in/out of City Council properties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To be responsible for the efficient and effective coordination of letting of void properties in order to achieve the annually set performance targets for re letting properties. Liaise with contractors to ensure that empty properties meet the Council's void specification within timescales and quality standards. To ensure new tenants receive assistance at the tenancy sign-up stage eg Housing Benefit applications.
- To be responsible for the delivery of the management of individual tenancies, on a day-to-day basis, within a defined neighbourhood and provide an efficient and an effective housing management service in compliance with the Council's legal obligations and corporate policies.
- Assist tenants/nominees wishing to move in and out of council properties by arranging key handover dates; accompanying tenants/prospective tenants to view empty properties and completing the sign-up process of new tenancies with tenants. To process tenancy changes such as joint to sole and sole to joint as well as terminations of tenancy.
- Interview tenants to discuss complex housing management problems to develop solutions by liaising with departments of the Council and external agencies eg Safer Communities (ASB), Police, Social Services, child protection conferences etc.. This will include creating support plans for temporary housing residents which will be reviewed regularly to assess progress. This may, on occasions, according to service needs, require work outside of normal office hours.
- To inform tenants on the Council's policies and procedures by advising them of their tenancy obligations and to initiate, instruct and progress legal action where breaches of tenancy conditions have occurred. Where more specialist advice may be required to refer to the Housing Officer.
- To respond to correspondence from a variety of sources e.g., tenants; Councillors; MPs, solicitors and advice agencies regarding a range of tenancy matters, this will include investigating and resolving customer complaints.
- To assist the Housing Officer with complex housing management problems in developing solutions to problems by liaising with different sections and departments of the Council and external agencies. To assist with projects and environmental improvements within the neighbourhood and to liaise with others involved bringing projects to fruition. For specific vulnerable groups clients will be signposted to the appropriate specialist agencies
- To offer customers advice and information about other aspects of their tenancies, including rents by providing basic advice and guidance on claiming benefit in order to maximise the recovery of rents and charges and also in order to maximise the tenants' income. Where more specialist advice may be required refer to the Rent Adviser. Specific support will be given to tenants in transition from temporary to permanent accommodation where appropriate, including access and use of the Home-Link system.
- To give support, guidance and advice to local neighbourhood residents associations, to help them initiate/apply for projects and improvements to their neighbourhoods.
- To complete appropriate client documentation and contribute to performance monitoring requirements as required by Supporting People.
Skills and Experience:
- Practical experience of working in a large social housing provider.
- Demonstrable experience of working in tenancy management or in similar enforcement or community development role.
- Significant practical experience of working in debt and benefit advice.
- Practical experience of dealing with rent arrears owed by a social housing tenants.
- Experience of cash handling and reconciliation of cash handling.
- Experience of visiting customers/clients in a face to face in a service setting.
- Experience of visiting customers/clients within their own environment eg home which may be outside of normal working hours.
- Experience of needs/risk assessment and support planning.
- Ability to negotiate debt repayment plans with tenants
- Good standard of numeracy and the ability to do arithmetical calculations
- Ability to understand complex information and reproduce the information in easy to understand formats
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a clear, concise and open manner to a wide range of people
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Strong people skills, including the ability to build rapport and empathise
- Demonstrates personal responsibility for delivering an excellent service to meet internal and external customer needs
- Committed to working with a team, partners and the wider community to achieve common goals and ensure performance at the highest level
- Encourages and values the contribution of all people; recognises the benefits of difference
- Contributes to organisational success by taking personal responsibility for own actions and behaviours
- Is aware of own impact on others and works to develop own strengths and abilities.
- Demonstrates high standards for personal performance and shows determination to meet objectives and focuses on achieving positive outcomes.
- Ability to look to the future, understanding the need for change and adapting to it.
- Demonstrable computer literacy (Microsoft applications).
- Able to demonstrate sound judgement in making decisions relating to tenancy and income management.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases