£12.69 - £15.80 per hour + (PAYE or Umbrella Company)
about 1 month ago
A 2 Month+ opportunity (with the possibility of an extension) has arisen for a Homelessness Officer within the local authorities in Macclesfield.
To provide comprehensive housing advice and homelessness assessment service for our customers. This role will manage a busy caseload of homeless Relief cases, carrying out Personalised Housing Plans and aiming to prevent or relieve homelessness.
To deliver a quality, comprehensive homelessness assessment service which fulfils the Council's statutory duties under Housing Act 1996 VII. To prevent homelessness where possible for those clients approaching who are at imminent risk of homelessness and to help to identify and meet housing need in the Borough.
- Assess, investigate and make homelessness decisions on cases against current legislation and case law so that they stand up to legal scrutiny.
- Keep comprehensive case notes and evidence to support the decision-making process and ensure these are updated on each contact.
- Communicate decisions, both verbally and in writing, to relevant parties to ensure they are understood and acted upon appropriately
- Provide mediation and liaison with all parties who influence or have a stake in any individual's homelessness, e.g. friends, GPs, hospitals to avert homelessness where possible
- To ensure households are appropriately assessed for temporary and permanent accommodation to ensure appropriate accommodation is sourced, communication with partners is ongoing about case progress and a settled housing option is secured in an efficient and timely manner.
- Deliver basic debt and welfare benefits advice to clients to ensure the impacts of welfare reform are mitigated and affordable housing solutions are accessed.
- Assess households against local and national criteria to see if they are eligible for appropriate interventions, e.g. Prevention Fund, DGS, Mortgage Rescue
- Provide a presence at local court hearings potentially defending customers who have been issued with possession proceedings
- Organise and take part in case conferences with external partners to resolve housing issues.
- Develop and share a comprehensive network of contacts in the statutory, voluntary and private sector and with all registered social landlords operating in the area.
- NVQ level 3 qualification in Housing/Social Support related field, or an equivalent qualification/experience
- Experience working in a similar role undertaking homelessness assessments under Part VII 1996 Housing Act as amended by 2002 Homelessness Act
- Experience of dealing with customers in difficult and stressful situations
- Detailed understanding of Housing Act 1996 (parts VI and VII), Homelessness Act 2002, Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, Protection from Eviction Act 1977, NHS and Community Care Act 1990, Children's Act 1989, Leaving Car Act 2000, and other legislation relevant to role (e.g. tenant and landlord legislation)
- Understanding of welfare benefits and associated regulations
- Awareness of advice and support services likely to be relevant to the Section's customers
- Understanding of public and private sector housing options and needs, and their effects
Rate of pay
Hours of work are 09:00-5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
To apply please send your CV or email for more information.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.