£14.50 - £15.90 per hour + (PAYE/ Umbrella)
24 days ago
A 6 Month+ opportunity for a Home Ownership Accounts Officer has arisen within the local authorities in Southwark.
The successful candidate will be responsible for collecting income but for service charge accounts not weekly rent or benefits. We are ideally looking for someone with service charge experience
Responsible for managing a portfolio of around 1200 properties of mostly leasehold but some freehold properties. Responsible for dealing with the collection of service charges and major works invoices for your portfolio, dealing with leasehold enquiries over the phone and via email/online forms.
Purpose of the Job
To be responsible for managing accounts through the arrears process using both automatic and manual processes in line with the debt pre-action protocol. To negotiate payment plans and have a thorough knowledge of the pre-action protocol process and be directly responsible for selecting individual cases to go through to litigation.
To lead and be the first point of contact on all issues relating to the recovery of revenue service charge and major works service charges of leased housing revenue account portfolio. Liaising as appropriate with central government, other local authorities and their associations, the courts, tribunals and professional bodies, representing the council's interests and ensuring, as far as possible, that the Council's position is reflected in pertinent legislation or best practice guides.
- To maintain appropriate relationships with other departments of the Council, external agencies and the community, and to develop joint initiatives where these add value to service delivery.
- To have a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of legislation relevant to service charges and homeownership management, particularly in the public sector. Including knowledge and understanding of the Landlord and tenant Acts 1985 and 1987, the Housing Acts 1985, 2004 and 2008, the Housing and Planning Act 1986 and the Law of Property Act 1925.. To adhere to all relevant policies, procedures and guidance for the recovery of homeowner service charges with specific reference to the provision of the services to which the charges relate. To have a knowledge and understanding of all service charge construction, and the ability to explain this to customers.
- To be responsible and accountable for administering in accordance with current policies and procedures instalment agreements, service charge reductions, service charge loans or any other appropriate assistance that can be given to your customers to assist them to pay their service charges in an affordable way including referring for debt guidance to organisations such as CAB and DWP
- To be responsible for the management of your own portfolio of up to 1,400 properties, taking sole ownership of the collection of that portfolio whilst operating as an effective team member to contribute to an annual collections targets in excess of £28m. Responding to queries from customers, their representatives and other departments, and to undertake interviews with customers on site, in the office and on home visits in connection with the portfolio. Attending resident meetings as required.
- Use professional knowledge to respond to complex homeownership enquiries cutting across a range of specialist areas of work, liaising where necessary with relevant teams and other departments on multifaceted queries. Take ownership of enquiries, providing clear, concise and accurate responses to a diverse range of issues using knowledge and experience of different service areas. The ability to interpret complex information and excellent interpersonal skills are essential to obtaining accurate information where more in-depth specialist knowledge is required and communicating responses effectively which in a way that reflects our policies, procedures and any statute or case law that we use to deliver our services.
- Operating the council's current telephony system, ensuring that you adhere to the procedure for answering telephone enquiries updating notes on the system relating to the call and adhering to the customer satisfaction survey process. Undertaking general administrative tasks as required supporting the team and overall business unit in the administering and collecting of service charges whilst effectively prioritising between conflicting demands. To work to tight deadlines whilst maintaining the quality of work. To operate flexibly to ensure the effective operations of the team and service as whole
- Knowledge of pertinent legislation, regulations, guidance and good practise and how they relate to public sector leasehold management and service charges.
- Knowledge of residential leases and freehold transfers.
- Knowledge of basic housing management services
- Experience of service charge recovery for a portfolio of residential leasehold properties in a mixed tenure environment
- Experience of using a wide range of computer packages, including bespoke accounting systems.
Rate of Pay
There might be flexibility in the rate for the right candidate.
Hours of work are 09:00am - 5:00pm Monday - Friday.
To apply please send your CV or e-mail for more information.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.