£20.27 - £21.28 per hour
11 days ago
Our client is seeking a Highways Traffic Senior Engineer on an initial 6 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
36 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
- The post-holder will be expected to carry out the duties of a Senior Engineer in the Traffic Management section, including developing, programming and implementing a wide range of Highways, Traffic and/or Parking Management schemes.
- To take personal responsibility for the planning and delivery of schemes and adopt a supervisory role over Technicians and Engineers who are assisting them.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively support more junior members of the team in discharging their duties to requisite standards and offering them development opportunities.
- Will be expected to liaise with members of the public, Council Members, MPs, Council Contractors and representatives from partner organisations and respond in accordance with corporate standards.
- Will arrange and attend internal and external meetings as appropriate, commensurate with the appropriate level of responsibility.
- Assist in responding effectively and efficiently to enquiries, including investigating issues, recording findings and discussing appropriate courses of action to ensure customer satisfaction with the Principal Engineer or Team Leader.
- Take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of him/herself and the safety of others who may be affected by his/her activities at all times. Support the service's Health and Safety Representatives and participate in Emergency and Health and Safety planning processes.
- Actively participate in delivering the work programme, paying particular attention to key performance indicators and contribute to the service planning process.
- Manage and design complex traffic and parking surveys, recording findings accurately and analysing and collating the results for monitoring purposes.
- Inspect and manage the implementation of traffic management schemes.
- Design and prepare quality control measures for large scale works, including drawings using specialist IT software.
- Maintain project files and development records in accordance with established procedures.
- Prepare detailed and accurate documentation for Traffic Order applications.
- Organise and manage Public Consultations for Traffic and/or Parking Management schemes. Represent the Council at public meetings, consultation forums, exhibitions etc. as required.
- Commission and manage the implementation of a wide range of Traffic and/or Parking schemes, including preparing accurate design specifications and cost estimates, issuing work requisitions, liaising with and supervising contractors, monitoring costs etc.
- Will have the ability to design a wide range of Traffic and/or Parking Management schemes in accordance with technical standards on own initiative, exercising sound judgement on complex design issues.
- Be able to assess a variety of existing and proposed highway layouts - including controlled parking zones, town centre schemes, traffic signals, road safety schemes, route studies, cycle, bus or school initiative schemes.
- Prepare scheme plans to requisite design levels, ensuring they conform to technical and industry standards.
- Design major Traffic and/or Parking Management schemes and ability to effectively analyse existing and proposed highway layouts of a significant nature.
- Will be capable of demonstrating creativity when solving problems, and will be capable of undertaking all design elements of large scale projects.
- Demonstrate a good working knowledge of current Traffic and Parking technical design standards and appropriate application.
- Be capable of effective liaison at a senior level with internal and external partners to progress schemes efficiently.
- Will have the ability to independently project manage all stages of the life cycle of Traffic and/or Parking Management schemes.
- Demonstrate ability to design and manage traffic surveys and public consultations to requisite standards, produce detailed design drawings to technical standards, prepare accurate complex cost estimates and contract documentation.
- Monitor major work schemes to ensure that estimated and actual costs are appropriately controlled and maintained within designated budgets. Ensure that financial protocols are strictly adhered to.
- Carry out site inspections and supervise contractors on major work schemes to ensure strict compliance with performance standards, approved plans, Section 38 and/or 106 agreements and requisite design specifications.
- Investigate the causes of accidents, analyse options and make recommendations for effective remedial measures.
- Actively contribute to service improvement initiatives, annual service area performance reviews and the development of service plans.
- Will prepare and present reports to Committee meetings and other forums, providing professional and technical advice to Council Members and community representatives.
Skills and Experience:
- Proven ability to compile, analyse and interpret complex information and data accurately
- Proven ability to produce concise and comprehensive reports
- Demonstrate expertise in the use of IT Traffic and/or Parking software
- Proven negotiation skills
- Good presentation skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to evaluate a wide variety of highway layouts and demonstrate initiative with problem-solving Minimum 1 year of practical experience in traffic order making
- Proven experience of managing complex engineering projects
- Extensive experience of managing public consultations
- Proven ability to prioritise and manage own workload and meet conflicting deadlines
- Proven ability to effectively manage complex and varied work programmes
- Proven ability to manage budgets effectively
For this role you will need the following:
- eligible to work in the UK
- 2 written references
- An appropriate NI Number
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases