£20.12 - £21.13 per hour
18 days ago
Our client is seeking a Group Accountant on an initial 3 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
The primary purpose of this post is to make an effective contribution to the Finance Management of the Council by providing financial advice and management accounting services to a portfolio of Service Divisions:
The post holder will be responsible for ensuring Services are able to maximise the benefit of the revenue and capital financial resources at their disposal by providing professional finance support to Divisional Directors, Senior Managers and political decision makers. Ensuring that appropriate financial processes and controls are in place to manage expenditure and income within the budget management and policy framework are essential. . The post holder will be expected to manage the team members reporting to them and to deputise for the Finance and Resources Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide professional financial advice and information to support the development of budgets, financial plans, project plans review of policies and strategies. In addition to provide advice and guidance to Senior Managers, Members, employing bodies, trustees and relevant committees on the financial implications of decisions and proposals, in order to help the Council meet its objectives and statutory responsibilities.
- Develop relationships with Members, Directors, Managers and Partner representatives based on personal and professional credibility and be capable of delivering clear and concise presentations of financial information to ensure that the audience understands the financial aspects of key decisions.
- Prepare and proactively contribute to reports for Members, Directors and Managers clearly identifying the financial effects of policy and other corporate proposals on the delivery of services .
- Prepare and monitor the annual budget and capital programme, including regular review and forecasting, in compliance with the Budget Management Scheme, and produce financial monitoring reports for the specified Services. Ensure that optimum functional use is made of the AGRESSO financial system and that all budget managers are able to undertake basic enquiries to track their budget position.
- Ensure that subsidiary financial systems fully integrate with the ledger where these are independent and are regularly reconciled to ensure the integrity of accounting information
- Develop measures to assess risk within projects or budgets of high demand and cost volatility or where significant third party funding is provided
- Produce final accounts in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards including the production of disclosure notes and supplementary financial analysis
- Provide leadership, direction and professional standards for finance staff working within the services supported, ensuring that they contribute to the delivery of an effective finance service
- Prepare and monitor all relevant grant applications, claims and returns in consultation with relevant services and Government departments ensuring full compliance with all statutory and other requirements and respond to queries on behalf of the Service.
- Negotiate with contractors and alternative service providers to safeguard and maximise the Council's financial interests. Liaise with service users, customers, employing bodies, clients, partners, Members and trustees either verbally or in writing concerning all financial aspects of the Services supported.
- Develop and maintain measures of financial and business performance and bench marking systems for the Services supported in order to ensure their continuous improvement and development.
- Lead on the financial and business aspects business case development and option appraisals, carrying out investment analysis and evaluation exercises in order to maximise business efficiency and ensure that financial implications are fully considered.
- Interpret, analyse and appraise business trends, local government legislation, supplier strategies, technical advances, market trends and other developments which could impact on the financial position of services within the portfolio.
- Contribute to specific project teams and where necessary take on the role of an independent project leader within the financial environment, ensuring that all projects meet their objectives.
- Deputise for the Finance and Resources Manager as require at meetings
- Plan and prioritise own workload in order to meet the deadlines for reporting to Members, Directors and Managers.
Skills and Experience:
- At least five year's experience, 2 year post qualification, in a public sector business or financial environment
- Experience of successfully carrying out a year end close down process.
- Experience of supporting budget holders in service planning and budget preparation.
- Be able interpret, and assess the key financial implications, risk factors and drivers from complex and diverse situations.
- Experience of working with and advising Chief Officers, Strategic Directors, Divisional Directors, Members, Trade Union representatives and Members of the public is essential.
- Able to use computerised accounting and related systems and PC based applications, including advanced level / knowledge of spreadsheet packages and word processing applications
- Thorough knowledge of Financial Information Systems.
- Extensive use of financial modelling techniques.
- Analytic and business sense skills.
- Numerate and interpretative skills.
For this role you will need the following:
- 2 Years Written referencing (All gaps verified).
- You are eligable to work in the UK.
- A suitable NI number.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.