£9.00 - £9.45 per hour
3 months ago
Our client is seeking a Groundsworker on an initial 4 Month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 hours per week
Monday - Friday
The role is part of the Design and Operations StreetCare unit and undertakes work within a specified front line team, delivering Grounds Maintenance services.
The postholder will Work under the direction of a Chargehand but will report to a Supervisor for line management. The postholder will be required to work as part of team or as a lone worker dependant of the tasks allocated. The postholder will be responsible for the maintaining the council's horticultural and outdoor land based assets in a safe manner and as directed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The postholder will be required to undertake grass cutting duties using hand and ride on mowers, strimmers and other equipment, ensuring parks, verges, open spaces and other sites are left clean, tidy and maintained according to any specification in place for the particular task. To carry out general garden maintenance duties and horticultural operations, assisting in minor landscaping works such as the planting of shrubs and trees.
- To postholder will be required to undertake other general maintenance work including cleaning hard surfaces, trimming and reducing hedges, cutting quality and amenity grass, maintaining beds and borders and assisting in the control of weed growth by the application of herbicides.
- The postholder will carry out routine winter maintenance operations including heavy cut backs in public parks, open spaces, roadside verges and woodland areas using a variety of powered hand tools and mobile plant.
- To postholder will assist in setting out and marking sports areas undertaking groundsman duties required in the maintenance of sports pitches.
- To postholder will be required to undertake general grounds maintenance and horticultural operations within a cemetery environment, including interment duties and grave digging by hand. To assist the Playground Equipment Inspector in routine inspection work and associated grounds maintenance work as required.
- When required the postholder will be required to assist in the collection fly tips and emptying of bins etc on public open space.
- The postholder will be required to use on a daily basis powered hand tools such as brush cutters, powered pruners, long reach pruners, pedestrian mowers etc.
- The postholder will require full UK/EU driving licence as the postholder will be required to drive vehicles and vans up to 3500kg in the execution of the above duties.
- The postholder will be required to ensure that they adhere to all safe methods of work and relevant Health and Safety regulations as instructed. The works involve working in public environment, so it is essential that the postholder is able to remain aware of their surrounding and that members of the public are taken into account in undertaking any works.
- The council provides essential front line services for the community and the postholder is required to work accurately and as efficiently as possible ensuring that works are to a high standard.
- The postholder will be required to carry out both routine checks and basic maintence to their tools and equipment, such as regularly cleaning of tools, checking oils and lubrication etc and reporting any shortages or defects to their supervising officer.
- The postholder will be required to undertake any relevant training which may be deemed necessary to the role.
- Depending on duties, weekend work may be involved, for which the appropriate enhancement will be paid.
Skills and Experience:
- NVQ level 2 or equivalent in horticultural maintenance or able to evidence experience in similar role.
- You will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the basic principles of horticultural and grounds maintenance and be able to demonstrate the practical skills needed to operate powered hand tools safely.
- You will require a full driving licence to at least category B for manual transmission vehicles you will need to be competent to drive vehicles up to maximum 3500kg MAM.
- You will have a flexible approach to work and be able to demonstrate your ability to work to strict deadlines.
- You will need to be physically fit and able to work outdoors in inclement weather throughout the year. (As described in Personal Attributes)
- You will have the ability to read and follow written works instructions and complete paper records accurately.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases