£22.60 - £23.73 per hour
23 days ago
Our client is seeking a General Lawyer on an initial 6 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
35 Hours Per week
Monday - Friday
- To provide customer focused, high quality and responsive specialist legal advice in relation to at least one of the area of legal expertise covered by a local authority legal team. These areas are as follows:
- Childrens Social Care
- Adults Social Care
- Administrative Law
- To be responsible for delivering a variety of types of legal work as expected within that specialism.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide timely and effective specialist legal advice to elected members, including committees and to Chief Officers, senior managers and officers across both authorities as part of a team of lawyers, and to any other clients of the Shared Legal Service.
- To be responsible for providing innovative solutions to deal with complex issues arising in connection with the work within the team and the legal issues presented by clients.
- To manage a large caseload of wide ranging work, including but not limited to; drafting legal letters, legal agreements, deeds, notices, orders, consents by-laws as well as negotiating agreements, settlements and such matters, managing competing demands and meeting deadlines and the requirements of the Shared Legal Service.
- Where relevant, to prepare and process all matters relevant to any proceedings before a court, arbitration, mediation or public inquiry and to attend such as the client's advocate or, if appropriate, select and instruct appropriate external legal representation.
- To work proactively to maintain and improvement the relationship with the clients of the Shared Legal Service.
- To supervise, and be responsible for the work of, junior staff as required and to provide management and leadership to the staff working on their cases.
- To undertake duties on behalf of the Monitoring Officer for all five authorities.
- Keep clients informed of new legislation and case law relevant to their operations, including training seminars where appropriate and to ensure that they maintain a sound application of legal requirements.
- Advise upon, draft and approve committee reports in respect of cases and legal issues
- Attend, advise and provide legal services to council Committees and Panels as are required.
- Negotiating, on behalf of any of the five authorities, with solicitors and other professionals and liaising with outside bodies including the court service on matters relating to work of any client.
- Any other duties as maybe commensurate with the grade
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to work under pressure and respond efficiently to the changing needs of the clients.
- Ability to be able to travel to attend client officers or courts wherever the client's case is being considered.
- Commitment to the principles of and development of the Shared Legal Service.
- Ability to contribute to the ongoing development of the Shared Legal Service.
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing and good numeracy and analytical skills.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases