£9.74 - £10.22 per hour
6 months ago
Our client is seeking a Gardener/Groundsman on the initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 hours per week
Monday - Friday
The primary purpose of this post is to assist in the provision of horticultural craftsman skills within Cemetery, landscaped areas and similar open spaces within Bath & North East Somerset.
As one of a team to contribute to the general development of the Team and Unit both in terms of services provided and staff in accordance with the Council's Vision and Values, policy and other objectives. In doing this to ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency
Duties and Responsibilities-
- With the Cemetery operational Supervisor participate in the formulation of detailed Team objectives.
- With the Cemetery Operational Supervisor ensure the effective and efficient implementation and delivery of Council services and the achievement of the Council's objectives.
- To contribute to co-operative working across service areas.
- To assist in ensuring the Team's services are responsive to community needs and that equal opportunity and health and safety issues are identified and addressed effectively.
- To assist in ensuring effective external and internal working relationships are established and maintained relevant to the work of the Parks teams.
- To ensure effective and accessible communication with staff, service users, the general public and others as approprite.
- To be responsible for carrying out horticultural operations (for example, planting, pruning and seeding): ground maintenance (for example, basic setting out and marking of sports areas and up keep of artificial/synthetic pitches) Cemeteries (for example gravedigging shoring etc) and where appropriate chemical control under direction. Assistance to higher graded gardeners in more skilled tasks may also be given (for example assistance with propagation and nursery care of plants, site preparation and construction).
- To be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the usual range of tools and equipment the use of powered hand tools and light plant, including the operation of tractor-mounted and ride on mowing equipment will be required.
- To drive and be responsible for an allocated vehicle duties will include vehicle checks routine maintenance (for example oil and water checks) and cleaning the vehicle. Also completing any vehicle log books.
- Undertake, in addition activities largely utilising craft skills: for example, interpretation of plans, (Cemeteries location of graves etc) site preparation tree care and propagation including carpet and annual bedding.
- Employees at this level would be expected to work with minimal supervision and to accept responsibility for the direction of the work of trainees and/or other employees assigned to them.
- All staff to have a reasonable level of communication skills to enable them to liaise with customers, clients & management.
- Responsible for the safe use, storage, recording of chemicals to meet the requirements of all relevant legislation.
- In addition having charge of and being responsible for resources of a significant nature (ride on mowing machines, pedestrian mowers, mechanical grounds maintenance equipment (such as spikers, scarfiers, etc), powered and manual hand tools, etc).
- Responsible for completing all paperwork attributable to the vehicle or plant and work patterns. (eg defect reporting, drivers hours records, log books, round tick sheets, formulation of work rotas, etc).
Skills and Experience-
- Trained to at least NVQ Level 2
- Manual Handling Training Required
- Good plant knowledge desirable
- PA1/PA6A Pesticides Certificate of Competence
- Effective Communicator
- Flexible (hours and activity)
- Manual Lifting and Handling
- Team Work
Driver must have a clean category B or above (or ability to achieve)
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.