£9.47 - £10.23 per hour
3 months ago
Our client is seeking a Gardener/Groundsman on an initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
The primary purpose of this post is to deliver a grounds maintenance service for Bereavement Services with the councill.
Contribute to the general development and review of the team and services provided to ensure maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to co-operative working across services and cross-service initiatives in accordance with the Council's Vision and Values.
- With the Team Leader participate in the formulation of detailed Team objectives and policies.
- With the Team Leader ensure the effective and efficient implementation of Council policies and the achievement of the Council's objectives, including financial ones.
- Assist in ensuring the Team's services are responsive to community needs and that equal opportunity and health and safety issues are identified and addressed effectively.
- Assist in ensuring effective external and internal working relationships are established and maintained with organisations and agencies relevant to the work of the Bereavement Services team.
- Ensure effective and accessible communication with colleagues, service users, the general public and others as appropriate.
- Behave in a professional manner at all times in line with the code of conduct.
- Ensure equality of opportunity in all activities and to recognise diversity and equality within the workforce and ensure that the Council's policies in this area, including compliance with the code of conduct, are communicated and acted upon
- Responsible for carrying out horticultural operations and grounds maintenance within cemeteries and churchyards under the responsibility of the Council including grave digging and interments of cremated remains.
- Responsible for completing all paperwork attributed to the vehicle or plant e.g. defect reporting etc.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of a range of tools and equipment including light plant and tractors.
- Employees at this level are expected to work with minimal supervision and to accept responsibility for the direction of the work of trainees and/or other employees assigned to them.
- Responsible for the safe use, storage, recording of chemicals to meet the requirements of all relevant legislation.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with all colleagues and service users.
- Carry out routine equipment maintenance procedures on daily, weekly and monthly bases as specified by the manufacturer's operations and maintenance manual and in accordance with training received.
- Responsible for own safety and that of colleagues and for any other Health & Safety issues and to report any concerns to Team Leader.
- Utilise up-to-date technologies to best effect to deliver an efficient and effective service.
- Liaise with other Service Areas on relevant issues.
- Drive and be responsible for an allocated vehicle, duties will include vehicle checks, routine maintenance (for example oil and water checks) and cleaning the vehicle and completing any vehicle log books.
Skills and Experience:
A vocational qualification or experience which is equivalent to level 2 and is relevant to the service user group e.g. educated to GCSE level.
Good equipment knowledge desirable.
PA1/PA6A Pesticides Certificate of Competence.
Good understanding of Health and Safety.
Knowledge of dangers of dealing with hazardous substances.
Must demonstrate good communication, interpersonal and organisational skills.
Knowledge of equipment and some engineering ability/experience.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases