St. Albans, Hertfordshire
£16.44 - £17.26 per hour
4 months ago
Our client is seeking a Finance Officer on the initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 hours per week
Monday - Friday
To provide a range of practical and technical accounting services for a range of functions including invoicing, debt management, accounts payable, cashiering, housing rents, payroll and bank reconciliations, etc.
To provide where necessary support to the finance Team Leaders on other functions for which they are responsible
Duties and Responsibilities-
- Managing the processing of considerable amounts of transactional data involving all of the council's multi million pounds receipts and payments. Ensuring the data is accurately captured, recorded and appropriately reconciled.
- Effectively interpreting internal and external regulations in relation to the areas of responsibility e.g. Financial Regulations, VAT, etc
- Overseeing and maintaining the financial information systems, controls and procedures relating to the area. This will include ensuring all systems outputs provide the information needed by all stakeholders in order to fully achieve the overall purpose of the role as outlined above. This will include interrogating systems to obtain financial information, ensuring effective systems and procedure notes are maintained, providing effective information to stakeholders, produce budget monitoring reports, processing online banking payments, etc
- Ensuring robust levels of internal control are maintained to ensure the security and safeguarding of council money.
- Providing financial performance information having a direct impact on service delivery such as outstanding debts by type and age, payments over £500, etc
- Perform all appropriate system reconciliations.
- Supporting the Council's Year End accounts closure programme. E.g. calculating and preparing appropriate information re bad debt provision, accruals, prepayments, income received summaries, housing rent information, and payroll information
- Ensuring the safe storage, retention and disposal of financial data and information in compliance with Retention Guidelines for Local Authorities for area of responsibility and appropriate confidentiality measures are maintained.
- Providing support and back up to assist the Finance Team Leader (Systems), Finance Team Leader (Controls), the Finance & Insurance Officer, the Financial Accountant, the Finance Officers (Systems & Controls) working on other primary functions, and other officers in the group and department as required.
Skills and Responsibilities-
- Comprehensive Financial Systems abilities to interrogate accounts, input data, run reports, download/upload into other systems as required
- Extensive understanding of accounting concepts (debits, credits, balance sheet, revenue account, accruals, reconciliation processes etc.)
- Excellent Financial Systems skills - ability to interrogate accounts, input data, run reports etc.
- Good MS Office and Excel spreadsheet skills - ability to design and develop spreadsheets, interlink spreadsheets and manipulate data, and ability to produce letters, emails including tabled data
- Good verbal skills, able to communicate verbally to non-technical officers
- Excellent numeracy skills, able to analyse and summarise financial data and interpret results
- Good analytical, problem solving and investigative skills - Ability to handle large volumes of financial data, to summarise, analyse, interpret, explain and find out why accounts do not reconcile
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required in daily dealing with the public and officers
- Customer service skills to communicate with the public face to face, on the telephone, and in writing in a professional, firm and tactful manner, remaining polite and courteous when dealing with people who are confrontational, dissatisfied, angry or upset
- Expertise in Sundry Debtors such as Debt Collection and enforcement procedures, VAT, Periodic invoicing
- Expertise in Accounts Payable such as VAT and the CIS scheme
- Expertise in cashiering such as requirements of PCI/DSS compliance, Money Laundering procedures, Banking procedures including cheque, debit and credit card and other payment methods
- Payroll processes - checking for accuracy and liaising with outsourced provider
- Experience of processing considerable amounts of data where security and confidentiality are important
- Experience of performing system reconciliations
- Experience of developing good relationships with colleagues in other departments to maintain an efficient and effective service and provide good customer service
- Experience of planning own workload within the parameters of the departmental objectives
- Experience of giving guidance to officers (including Heads of Service) from service departments regarding accounting policies, regulations, systems and procedures
- Experience of training service department staff in operation of devolved systems
- Experience of understanding various service requirements and also being proactive and suggesting areas for improvement
- Experience of improving inefficient/weak accounting processes
- Experience of payroll
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.