£22.29 - £23.40 per annum
about 1 month ago
Our client is seeking a Finance Lawyer on an initial 2 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
36 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To provide proactive advice and assistance in Debt Collection matters and to conduct Litigation on behalf of the Council including trials.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide specialist legal advice and assistance on all aspects of Debt Collection for a wide range of debts across the Council, including: Adult Social Care Housing Benefit Over Payments Council Tax Arrears Sundry Debts.
- To take a proactive approach to the recovery of debt and approach the role robustly without fear or favour.
- To be ready to consult with and advise client departments on strategies to reduce the likelihood of arrears and increase the collection of arrears where they do occur.
- To personally conduct litigation on behalf of the Council up to and including trial and to instruct counsel as appropriate.
- To approve or amend legal aspects of reports to be submitted to members requiring decisions and to attend committee and other meetings to give legal advice as necessary.
- To provide proactive legal advice and assistance to meet the needs of members and officers and to assist with client liaison.
- To contribute towards the running of the team including supervision of legal assistants and to Legal Services in general.
- To assist in developing policies and good practice.
- To provide cover as necessary for other areas within the team or within Legal Services as a whole and to deputise for the Principal Lawyer (Financial and Litigation Team).
- To keep up to date with changes in the law and other developments in this area of work, to disseminate information on changes and to advise on any action to be taken as a result.
- To assist with the provision of training to members, clients or members of the team.
- Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility and all employees are required to act in such a way that at all times safeguards the health and well-being of children and vulnerable adults.
- Carry out duties with due regard to the Council's Customer Care, Equal Opportunities, Information Governance, Data Protection and Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post.
Skills and Responsibilities:
Experience of debt recovery.
Ability to personally handle with some supervision all matters within the post holder's area of responsibility and to carry a heavy caseload comprising of general litigation relating to all aspects of debt collection, from negotiation, to Court action and finally enforcement.
Ability to appear as an advocate at court or in public inquiries or tribunals if necessary.
Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write accurate and engaging copy/correspondence for a range of audiences.
Strong negotiation skills.
Strong role model who demonstrates a personal commitment to high standards of public service, honesty, integrity and professionalism.
Ability to work flexibly, on own initiative and collaboratively both corporately and departmentally.
First class ability to prioritise and manage own workload.
Highly proficient in MS Word, outlook and Excel as well as case management and time recording software.
Willingness to undertake staff training and development as required as well as supervise work of the Financial Litigation Team.
Ability to deputise for the Principal Lawyer in the team.
For this role you will need the following:
- You are eligible to work in the UK.
- 2 Written references.
- A Suitable NI Number.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases