22 days ago
A 6 Month+ opportunity, with the possibility of an extension, for a Environmental Health Officer has arisen within the local authorities in Dunstable.
This is an opportunity to join a thriving and agile Private Sector Housing Team, within a well-established Environmental Health department. There are multiple roles available. We support a flexible working pattern. The role will require working from home and physical inspections on site. May lead to permanent position subject to application and interview.
Primarily this role is to respond to, investigate and resolve complaints regarding poor housing conditions in the private sector in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Undertaking inspections under the Housing Health and Safety Rating system (and other legislation) and taking the most appropriate course of action within the Council's policies and procedures. Where notices are not complied with, to instigate enforcement action promptly.
Opportunity to undertake planned inspections as part of pro-active inspection programme and HMO licensing regime. Prepare schedules and plans where appropriate in order that enforcement notices/orders can be served/made and HMO licenses issued.
Possibility to undertake the processing of HMO licence applications, draft licence conditions and where appropriate take enforcement action for non-licensing or breach of licence conditions.
- The post holder is responsible for ensuring that the Royal Borough of Kensington's Private Sector Housing Team protects the health, safety and welfare of residents and the public, who are affected by poor housing conditions and deficient property management in the private rented sector (PRS).
- This will be done by operating in a supportive 'light touch' manner for compliant landlords, registered providers (housing associations), owners, agents and tenants. We will focus on seeking a behaviour change and pursuing legal punishment of those who flout the law and eliminate the financial gain or benefit from those who are non-compliant. We will provide transparent and consistent regulation within the PRS market. Promoting professionalism and resilience within the PRS.
- As a senior you will work as a subject matter lead and technical expert in the Private Sector Housing Team (PSH). This will be through "hands on" casework, keeping up to date with new aspects of the Environmental Health Housing matters, motivation and support of colleagues and leading on specific projects and subject areas.
- The postholder is expected to be a knowledgeable decision maker, who builds trust with others and works on their own initiative. Use their experience to take responsibility for their outputs whilst having knowledge of the bigger picture.
- To work within the statutory and policy framework of the council, and in line with the highest professional standards, lead in the development of policy and procedures within the specialist area. Use innovation and entrepreneurship in pursuit of service objectives, to actively promote the service and to educate customers and businesses.
- Degree or Diploma in Environmental Health recognised by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development and records available.
- Registration with the Environmental Health Officers Registration Board/ Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner.
- Chartered Membership of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.
- Recent experience of using a wide range of housing, public health and nuisance legislation and carrying out inspections to remedy housing defects; including service of HHSRS (part 1) notices and other notices
- Experience of motivating colleagues to improve team working and/or inspiring others to deliver high standards of customer service and by leading by example.
- Knowledge and experience of using PACE, conducting interviews under caution, gathering and preparing evidence, obtaining warrants, managing court cases and giving evidence as a witness.
Rate of Pay
Hours 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.
To apply please send your CV or e-mail for more information.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.