West End, London
£25.00 - £26.25 per hour
about 2 months ago
Our client is seeking a Environmental Health Officer on an initial 7 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
36 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
Within the statutory and policy framework of the Council, and in line with the highest professional standards carry out and diligently discharge the duties of a Trading Standards officer within the Trading Standards - Commercial Operations Division. Also where suitable to carry out the duties of a Weights and Measures inspector including inspections, business advice and investigation of complaints.
Undertake complex casework as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintain up-to-date professional, legal and technical knowledge to provide the Team Manager with guidance and advice to support the operation of the team. As directed by Team Manager or Service Head, take responsibility for the preparation of committee reports, key decision reports, responses to Government White Papers, draft circulars and Member enquiries.
[NB The ability to present clear written argument, which turns thought and analysis into coherent and practical policy proposals for departmental managers and elected Members is a critical feature of this job.]
- Take responsibility for leadership and delivery of projects within specialist area as directed by Team Manager or Service Head.
- As directed by Team Manager, carry out reactive and proactive field work, taking informal and formal action in accordance with the Council's Enforcement Policy. The post holder will be expected to contribute to day-to-day team work and will be responsible for management of his/her caseload.
- Contribute via the Team Manager to the local performance plan and ensure that any relevant policy issues and corporate priorities and targets are delivered on time. Contribute to the development of the plan throughout the year in response to changes in legislation, governmental guidance and other emerging imperatives, financial or otherwise, that reflect the views of Members and wider corporate priorities.
- Participate in relevant consultation exercises in specialist subject area as directed by Team Manager. This may include work with central Government, Mayoral and local government bodies (London Councils, LACORS and LGA) to develop the Council's position and to formulate an appropriate response.
- Assist in development of procedures and other guidance material in specialist area to ensure professional, technical and other staff are fully equipped to perform to their maximum potential. Ensure all enforcement/ legal policies and procedures relevant to specialist area are followed.
- Explore and develop working relationships that promote and link with the public health agenda within specialist subject area to demonstrate where possible how performance can be represented as health outcomes.. Attend policy forum to ensure a coherent approach to improving public health and well-being across the department and to share best practice. Contribute to promotion of public health initiatives as they relate to specialist area.
- Ensure that all recorded data is accurate and complete, and that the database meets the operational needs of the team. Contribute to IT development in specialist area.
- Assist with data analysis for annual statistical returns in specialist subject area as directed by Team Manager.
- Maintain a watching brief to ensure that all statutory requirements are being met within the specialist subject area.
- Act as departmental or business group representative, through attendance at a range of internal and external meetings, working parties, etc as required by Team Manager.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with partners both within and outside the Council. Within the Council this will include HHASC, Planning Services, Building Control, Law and Administration, Families and Children's Services, and Learning and Development. Outside the Council this will include professional bodies (LACORS/ CIEH/ FSA/ HSE/ TSI) the PCT, voluntary organisations (e.g. the Citizen's Advice Bureau), Resident's Associations, GLA, Police, HMRC, professional consultants and government departments. Ensure that the team is making a strong contribution to the department's overall strategic direction through partnership working and fulfilling its aim to serve special client groups, such as the young or elderly and clients from communities where English is not their first language.
- Carry out such other duties relevant to the post when required.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience of joint working efforts with other enforcement agencies, government departments and NGOs.
- Recent suitable and practical experience within trading standards enforcement.
- Recent experience of carrying out planned and risk based trading standards inspections.
- Recent experience of advising directors, managers, employees and complainants in particular on trading standards issues, and interpreting legislation.
- Recent experience of investigating complaints and dealing with enquiries, particularly in relation to trading standards issues.
- Recent experience of using relevant legislation and powers e.g. serving notices, instigating prosecutions, attending Court and/or Tribunals.
- Experience of working with computers and an understanding of information technology.
- Experience of making presentations to members of the public and also selective audiences which could include Council members.
- Experience of undertaking projects, researching topics and preparing and writing reports.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases