£23.45 - £30.00 per hour + (PAYE or Umbrella Company)
21 days ago
A 2 Month+ opportunity has arisen for a Environmental Compliance Officer within the local authorities in St Albans.
To contribute to the work of the specialist environmental team to ensure compliance with the Council's enforcement policies, protocols and the statutory requirements of the various government agencies.
The role delivers all contaminated land consultation and investigations, including supporting the Environmental Compliance Team's response to planning applications, response to external Environmental Information Requests (EIR's) and Freedom of Information Requests (FOR's) and consultation and advise to the Construction and Design (C&D) team.
This role also has a proactive element in relation to the Council's responsibilities under Part IIA of the Environmental Protection Act, 1990 identifying land which is potentially contaminated.
- Manage an individual and varied case load and where applicable to use the current GIS software system.
- Undertake and execute in a consistent, proportionate and transparent manner, a caseload of reactive consultations to meet statutory and service requirements.
- Undertake out of hours work as required and also work in partnerships with any external agencies, to help achieve statutory and service requirements.
- Collaborate with colleagues by cascading information relating to best practice, through regional specialist groups to ensure consistency, fairness and transparency in the delivery of relevant services.
- Provide expert advice where required to internal departments on specialist areas of work to ensure compliance with regulatory standards and guidelines and to ensure that risks and outcomes of actions by other departments have been properly addressed.
- Determine any incoming FOI/EIR requests, planning consultations, complaints etc. relating to specialist areas of work and ensuring they are dealt within agreed timelines to protect the health and well-being of the district and its residents.
- Attend and present evidence on specialist area of work at court or similar formal hearings or meetings, to enable informed and proportionate decisions are reached.
- Prepare and collate reports relating to any regulatory or service related function, in order that decision making on any statutory or Council service or planning related matter may be discharged.
- Educated to degree or equivalent level in a subject area relating to one of the specialist functions (or in exceptional cases where considerable experience in the specialist are can be demonstrated)
- Up to date and working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, standards and core disciplines of work area relating to contaminated land and environmental Health.
- Knowledge and understanding of:
- functions of local government
- major issues and challenges facing specific work area
- performance management and target setting in relation to delivery of front line regulatory services
- project working
Rate of pay
Hours of work are 09:00am till 5pm, Monday to Friday.
To apply please send your CV or email for more information.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.