£15.20 - £15.96 per hour
3 months ago
Our client is seeking a Engineer on an initial 5 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
- To progress proposals for Highway Adoptions from planning permission stage to adoption.
- To ensure that legal agreements are fit for purpose and that all construction work is monitored in accordance with government and Council guidelines, policies and procedures.
- To assist the Principal Engineer in ensuring that layouts of new roads and changes to existing roads are designed and built to meet the Council's standards and appropriate contemporary urban design standards by working with other Council officers, developers and local planning authorities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist the Principal Engineer in managing the work of the team, with particular emphasis on management of work-load and output of direct reports.
- To assist the Principal Engineer in the development and implementation of team specific revised policies and working processes and procedures
- To promote a strong customer service focus within the team and provide an excellent level of customer care
- To deputise for the Principal Engineer as necessary
- Receive drawings from developers; ensure that proposals conform with OCC and national design standards
- Liaison with other sections within the County Council as necessary and advising applicants of requirements. Ensuring that all documentation and work undertaken complies with Government and Council guidelines and policies (including issues of safety).
- Advising Transport planning and other officers within the council on issues relating to legal agreements, highway safety and highway construction design and specifications.
- Assist the Principal Engineer in ensuring that inspection of construction of new roads and highway improvements are carried out in an appropriate manner and that highway adoptions take place efficiently.
- Arrange for the Aids to movement (white lines and signs) to be checked or designed.
- Issue technical approval to developers.
- Calculate Bond and commuted sums required for each development scheme.
- Compile and provide all necessary information to enable legal instructions to be created in relation to development of S38, S278 and private street agreements
- Arrange/carry out site inspections and testing to ensure compliance with permissions, materials/workmanship standards and approved technical drawings. This in relation to both S38 and S278 works
- Agree work's completion, maintenance periods, formal inspections and remedial works.
- Advise/instruct on adjustment of performance Bond held according to progress.
- Compile full highway adoption files in order that completed development schemes can be added to the definitive highway map by Highways Records Team.
- To assist the Principal Engineer in monitoring and review of the operation of the section to achieve maximum efficiency and high customer service and make recommendations to the Service Manager accordingly.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience of negotiating and engrossing road agreements (Section 38 and Section 278 Agreements) for the provision of transport services and infrastructure
- Experience of the road adoption process from initial submission to final adoption
- Experience of site supervision of highway infrastructure together with sound record keeping
- A working knowledge and experience of road construction design and specifications and other associated infrastructure
- Knowledge of highway construction materials, their properties and uses
- Understanding of the relevant section's highway law relating to the function of this post.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases