£24.10 - £25.3 per hour
5 months ago
Our client is seeking an Enforcement Officer on the initial 6 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
35 hours per week
Monday - Friday
To assist the Enforcement Team and Development Control Section and in all aspects of Development Control. To investigate breaches of planning control, deal with a range of planning applications, applications for advertisement consent and certificates of lawfulness; To act as the Council's witness at appeals and to present cases to PAC
Duties and Responsibilities-
- To be familiar with techniques, legislation and guidance relevant to Enforcement and Development Control.
- To give informal advice as appropriate to third parties, applicants and members of the public by telephone, in writing or in person on the need for planning permission and to report Applications for Certificate of Lawfulness to the Principal Planning Officer (Development Control) for delegated decision.
- To respond in writing, over the telephone or in person to enquiries from members of the public, developers and other organisations on planning matters and to advise as appropriate.
- To help members of the public visiting the public reception area to interpret planning submissions and to participate in the duty officer system.
- To ensure that third parties are appropriately consulted during all relevant stages of the enforcement and development control process.
- To be responsible for ensuring that advertisement of planning applications, applications for conservation area consent and listed building applications (by way of site notice) is efficiently and effectively carried out, in accordance with the Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Procedures Order 1995.
- To undertake site inspections (accompanied and unaccompanied) as required in relation to specific planning tasks performed.
- To be familiar with the legislative and procedural framework relating to tree works (Tree Preservation Orders and works to trees in Conservation Areas).
- To organise and prioritise work in accordance with targets contained within relevant Service Plans, Best Value Performance Plans and Individual Performance Plans.
- To carry out all the duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Council's Equal Opportunities & Customer Care Practices and take a pro active role in their development and implementation.
- To ensure that Corporate and Departmental Health & Safety Policies are implemented at all times and rise any concerns regarding their operation Or any other health and safety matter with the appropriate line manager.
- To carry out any other duties appropriate to the grading of the post as required by senior management.
- To prepare reports for planning enforcement notices and applications for planning permission and advertisement consent to be considered by delegated authority.
- To advise customers of policies contained within relevant local plans and/or within national, regional and strategic guidance.
- To negotiate with planning applicants/agent as appropriate (in person, in writing or over the telephone) to ensure that breaches of planning control are resolved and planning applications and advertisement applications are determined in accordance with the development plan.
- To investigate breaches of planning control, reporting directly to the Principal Planning Officer (Enforcement).
- To initiate action to resolve identified breaches of planning control.
- To input into written representation appeal statements in accordance with the Town & 19.Country Planning Appeal (Written Representation) Regulations, reporting directly to the Principal Planning Officer (Development Control).
- To prepare reports on planning applications and advertisement applications to be considered by the Planning Applications Sub-Committee or its successor
- To prepare reports on more complex enforcement, planning applications and advert applications to be considered by the Planning Applications Sub-Committee or its successor.
- To prepare written representations appeal statements in accordance with the Town & Country Planning Appeal (Written Representations) Regulations, reporting directly to the Principal Planning Officer (Development Control).
- To train and/or assist in the training of other staff and advise/supervise other planning officers as appropriate.
- To attend and contribute to public meetings to discuss areas of work covered by the relevant team. (G)
- To prepare reports on complex planning enforcement and planning application issues to the Planning Applications and Licensing Committee (with some applications requiring standard S.106 Obligations).
- To prepare written statements on planning and enforcement appeals to be considered by way of hearing and to appear at the hearing as the Council's witness.
- To assist in the supervision of more junior members of the team, including other planning officers. (G)
- To prepare proofs of evidence in relation to appeals against the refusal of planning permission and enforcement appeals (considered at public inquiry) and to appear as the Councils planning witness at the public inquiry.
- To determine/resolve complex enforcement complaints including appearing in court as the Council's witness.
- To advice those responsible for planning policy of the need for policy review and contribute to its formulation and contribute to the preparation of planning briefs. (DC)
Skills and Experience-
- Keen interest in town planning and development issues.
- Aptitude to understand and apply planning legislation, regulations and guidance to straightforward planning tasks.
- Analytical skills including the ability to collect, record and clearly present information.
- Ability to understand and interpret scaled drawings and plans.
- Ability to work methodically, accurately and to deadlines.
- Understanding of the contribution of IT to Development Control Duties.
- Ability to use IT including GIS systems as part of day to day development control work.
- Effective communication skills.
Additional for Scale 5
- Knowledge of Development Control Techniques used in the investigation of breaches of planning control and determination of planning applications .
- Ability to communicate and negotiate with planning applicants.
- Ability to give straightforward pre application advice, having regard to relevant local planning policies and guidelines.
- Ability to apply legislative framework to investigate and determine breaches of planning control.
Additional for Scale 6
- Ability to deal with more complex breaches of planning control and planning applications.
- Ability to draft concise comprehensive Committee reports on breaches of planning control and planning applications.
- Ability to resolve breaches of planning control.
- Knowledge of planning appeal procedures generally and the ability to input into written representation appeal statements.
- Ability to work methodically, accurately and to deadlines with minimal supervision.
Additional for S01
- Ability to draft Committee reports on more complex breaches of planning control and planning applications.
- Ability to draft appeal written representation statements with minimal supervision.
- Ability to train and/or assist in the training of other Planning Technicians.
Additional for S02
- Ability to draft appeal written representation and informal hearing statements with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lead in the development of other Planning Technicians.
Additional for PO1
- To represent the Council at Planning Applications Committee and other associated Council/Public meetings.
- To act as the Council's expert witness at Public Inquiry, including the drafting of all statements of case/proofs of evidence with minimum supervision.
This role requires a full/clean driving license.
Enhanced DBS needed
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.