Newton Abbot, Devon
£10.34 - £10.86 per hour
11 months ago
Our client is seeking a Democratic Services Support Officer on an initial 1-month contract with the possibility of an extension.
Working Hours & Pay Rate:
Monday - Friday, 37 hours at £10.34 p/h PAYE.
The main purpose of this job is to provide administration support to the Democratic Services Team to ensure that the Councils decision-making procedures and process are upheld.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To support the work carried out within the Council's democratic processes, ensuring that Committee servicing is managed efficiently, within defined time scales contributing to meeting the Council's objectives.
- Provide support as necessary to the Democratic Services Team, in connection with meetings of the Council and its committees. To include attendance at some committee meetings, ensuring all documents and material relevant to the meeting are available and to assist members of the public attending the meeting.
- To provide administrative support with regards to outside bodies, the constitution and register of interests for District and Town and Parishes Councillors.
- To help ensure effective communications with Members and Officers on the democratic process and build, develop and maintain good working relationships within the Council and partners recognising the significant interaction with public, service users and the wider community to ensure the process is as inclusive as possible.
- To help provide professional, non-political support to Members, observing appropriate confidentiality and assisting with member training and development initiatives, including supporting the Induction Programme.
- To contribute to the success of the Democratic Services by ensuring at all times the best possible working relationships and demonstrating the highest standards in personal and professional effectiveness.
- A commitment to maintaining an up to date knowledge and practice of internal procedures/protocols, financial regulations and new legislation which will impact on day to day work within the Democratic Services.
- To work with Democratic Services to identify; smarter working in Committee administration and the use of technology to achieve this, both in terms of a bespoke committee management system (Modern.Gov), the roll-out of iPads to Councillors and other ICT provision.
- To undertake duties as allocated by the Democratic Services Team Leader.
Skills & Experience:
- Excellent literacy skills
- Good organisational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- People skills, especially tact, patience and diplomacy
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Comprehensive understanding of all Microsoft Office application
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.